C diff,Alert

We have several contributors lincluding AllisS, Nika Nike, and Teresa. Moderators and I can post, and we all do. Others need special permission from the webmaster. Please write a brief and descriptive title header about the hyperlink to identify the information it contains and check to make sure it has not already been posted. If you can't post in this forum, send the information to someone who can. We value all information.
Bobbie
Administrator

C diff,Alert

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Very interesting & promising information especially for our adult population who are in a position to acquire a c-diff infection.

#Cdiff Alert: In a systematic review with meta-regression analysis, we found evidence that administration of #probiotics closer to the first dose of #antibiotic reduces the risk of CDI by >50% in hospitalized adults. Future research should focus on optimal probiotic dose, species, and formulation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28192108

* shared from the C-Diff Awareness Group And the CDI support group

justme
Long Time Contributor

Re: C diff,Alert

Postby justme » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:45 pm

My husband got an infection in his hand from a cat claw and was given an antibiotic. He was told by the doctor to take probiotics anytime he had to take an antibiotic of any kind. I am glad that doctors are now more aware of the dangers that antibiotics pose and are advising the use of probiotics.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: C diff,Alert

Postby AllisS » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:35 am

Yes, it is encouraging, especially given the large number of subjects spanning numerous studies. I was very skeptical about probiotics when I first came onto this site back in 2012. However, after being hospitalized for three days for hip replacement last fall -- a surgery that includes IV administration of an antibiotic during and after surgery (a total of three doses) -- yet avoiding C. diff reinfection, I'm open to believing that the two Florastor doses I took per day, starting weeks before the surgery, may have protected me. (I'd been taking VSL3 and one dose of Florastor/day for some months prior.)
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Media Reports”