Question thought someone would probably know

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Question thought someone would probably know

Postby jenkelly15 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:38 pm

Hey guys so I had a question that I'm sure c-diff survivors or suffers might know the answer. I am actually asking it because I had c-diff and was curious. Is an antiviral medication like tamiflu the same thing as an antibiotic? This might sounds like a stupid question and I don't think it is the same, but I was hoping someone could tell me for sure. Also, I was wondering if antiviral medication could make a person get c-diff again like an antibiotic can. Thanks so much for you help. Also, hope everyone is doing good.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:50 am

My doctor told me that Tamiflu couldn't give you c difficile, but someone posted another opinion here before. Tamiflu doesn't kill bacteria - it's not dissimilar to getting a flu shot and only helps for certain types of flu. Better check with your doctor too.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:26 am

Thanks Beth appreciate the response. Just curious if they were different and could cause c-diff thanks.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:56 am

That someone was me...lol! I have researched this because of the H1N1 flu. I found on the Mayo Clinic website that c diff can be caused by antivirals. I then researched on the official Tamiflu website. Their studies found that c diff was caused in trials by use of Tamiflu. It was not as rampant as with antibiotics but for those of us that have c diff history it could very well cause a relaspse. I am not sure why but I would imagine because like anything else it affects the bacteria in our stomachs. My understanding of antivirals is they work by stopping the production of the virus so that it doesn't get worse and your body only has to fight off what has already been produced. I would imagine that something that can do that would not be good on our good bacteria either.

Amanda

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:01 pm

Amanda - If you have the site where you found this information, could you post it. I'd like to show it to my doctor and with everyone so concerned about the swine flu this year it would be good to know. Thanks.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Sure not a problem. I feel like because antivirals aren't commonly used like there just isn't much information about its effects on c diff. I will have to do some researching to find the study because it was hard to find the first time. I should have bookmarked it. Here is the mayo clinic link. Third paragraph talks about antimicrobials aka antiviral and antifungal.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pseudo ... ION=causes

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:52 pm

Ok I found the other one a lot quicker then I thought I would. It is on page 13 and it is on line 447. It occured in less then 1% of patients which is good but if someone has previous c diff history I would imagine we would be at a lot higher risk.

http://www.rocheusa.com/products/tamiflu/pi.pdf

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:16 pm

Yeah that is tough to tell, less than 1% could be .000000001. Question would be is it safer to ride out the flu or put this in you? Who knows any more?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:05 pm

The other thing to consider are those people who when they get the flu wind up on antibiotics because they are prone to respiratory infections. In that case it would probably be safer to take the Tamiflu, but everyone would need to consider that with their own doctors. It's kind of like neither is good, but choose the less bad I guess.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:02 pm

What Roy says is true, although in the US we have had deaths from the swine flu. Probably for those who suffer from asthma, are prone to pneumonia, etc. it would be wiser to get a flu shot rather than to take the Tamiflu. I never take a flu shot even though I work in a school, but this year I think I may as I really don't want to wind up on ABs again. Still battling this last relapse after taking Cipro that turned out to be the worst ever in spite of taking vanco right after, so can't take antibiotics again anyway. Will be glad if I can get over this relapse. Still don't feel better.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:43 pm

Yeah that was exactly why I was asking because of this darn swine flu. I was only concerned because my husband and I are trying to have baby number 2, and I of course read something saying how the swine flu is hard on pregnant women. So I got curious if it did cause c-diff or not. I read online the pregnant women who have died from the swine flu didn't get the treatment with the medication soon enough, so I got paranoid in case godforbid I got it. It's always something it's bad enough I am still overly paranoid about getting c-diff back and that is scaring me with having another baby since I got it the first time after I had Connor and now this swine flu and pregnant women is scary as well. Anyway, good discussion on it.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:03 am

My computer has been "out of it." Finally got a tech. to come in; next it was my cell phone. I am tired of all thise electronic "stuff."

Thx. for info., Roy. We still plan on coming to Bath the end of the month. Got Hospice extended for Mother after many phone calls. (She is still the same -- dementia, diverticulosis, loss of hearing) but has occasional good days.

For those of you with elderly parents, Hospice is no longer just for terminally ill people, and they are a Godsend.

Mother is 92 and lives in an assisted living 5 min. away. I am there almost every day and sometimes twice a day, do al her shopping (she goes through about 2 rolls of TP a day -- gotta love those GI diseases!), doc. & dentist appointments, etc. We moved her here from Montana seven years ago, and she was fine until l8 months ago when she developed dementia. (My father had Altz.) Same song, second chorus. We don't have much family. I have a brother (who has 3 daughters who all drive). They all live 3 hours away but seldom visit.

I hired a woman to come twice a week to sit with Mother, and volunteers from a dementia ministry at a local church will also visit her. (I used to have friends call and visit her but she doesn't hear well anymore and doesn't really want visitors. ) She has always been my best friend and was there for every crisis in my life. i've talked to her every day (often more) since Dad died l9 years ago. Now, she just wants to sleep all the time, but if she does, she'll have to go to a nursing home -- not nice places -- so I often have to go there and get her up for lunch. (She sleeps through breakfast -- they give her Ensure with her morning meds.). The staff can't force her to get up -- elder abuse -- actually I shouldn't either, but I "gently" remind her. She has a lovely apartment in the assisted living. I miss my mother! Sometimes I think we are kinder to our animals than our old people.

Haven't been on the site much because of plans for trip and Mother. I am on loads of meds. including Forteo -- a new med. for osteoporosis. It must be kept cold. (Gel paks only last 10 hours.) The airline won't be responsible. I've even called the TSA (Transportation Security Agency) and think I finally have the problem solved. Unfortunately, I am supposed to have more tests down before we leave so am doing my "round of docs." (In KC, they won't treat you unless you see them once a year.) I am supposed to have blood work and a sonogram (partially blocked arteries to my kidneys), but have been delaying them.

We leave early in the morning, spent 6 hours in Newark, and fly into Bristol since Bath doesn't have an airport, and the best connecting flight into Newark seldom makes the connecting flight. We fly all night and when we land, we're 6 hours into the UK day and there are 3 little kids. I can hardly wait! Have bought loads of presents (like they need more "stuff").

Lily (the oldest) had swine flu. It only lasted 2 days.

I won't relax until we get on that plane! I want to see those little kids.

Thx. to Cindy, Roy, Fire, Amanda, and everyone else for "holding down" the site. Say a prayer, light a candle, spit three times, or do anything that might help me get to Bath. This will be our 6th (& possibly our last) trip.

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:42 am

Bobbie,

I was wondering as we had not heard from you in a few days...glad to see you got your technology issues worked through. They do seem to be never-ending don't they! Mine is always the cell phone.

I will keep you in my prayers that you have a safe and succesful trip to Bath. It sounds like it will be a great time. Do they ever get to come to the US to visit you guys? Enjoy yourselves and we will be looking forward to hearing about your trip when you get back.

Jen,

I fully understand your concerns about being pregnant, c diff and the swine flu. They are all very overwhelming things. Hopefully they will get the H1N1 vaccination out this fall and you will be able to get that and then you won't have to worry about the flu anymore. What a relief that would be. I am hoping if it does come out to get my youngest son(17 months) and myself done so that we don't have to worry about taking the antivirals but we will see what the stipulations are. If you are pregnant or become I am sure you would be covered under the stipulations of who can receive it.

Amanda

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 pm

I know I will want to get my son 21 months vaccianted as well. It just stinks because the first time I got pregnant pre-c-diff and no swine flu it was great. I was sooooo excited and I really didn't worry at all. I just don't want to be stressed out during the pregnancy. Hopefully, I won't have to worry too much about c-diff until the delivery and hopefully I won't need AB's this time around. Well hope you and your baby will get the vaccination as well, so you don't have to worry. How are you guys both doing by the way all better with the c-diff I hope?

anlockwood
Long Time Contributor

Postby anlockwood » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:51 pm

The baby is almost 18 months old now, how time flys! He is doing amazingly great. He has only had one cold since being off vanco(we are probably a bit too overprotective) and that is such a blessing! He is healthy happy and full of zest(and attitude)! I am doing good for the most part. No issues with the c diff. Had alot of teeth issues but this far have avoided the ab's for them and hope to continue. I go into to have my gallbladder removed August 21st and hopefully I will be feeling great after that is done.

I understand how frustrating it is that we now have to worry about things that never crossed our minds before. It does seem to take the enjoyment out of a lot of things. I am working on trying to quit worrying so much. If I am out in public and someone is hacking around me I just about die. I will literally find any excuse to turn and walk away. I hate being like that. I miss the days when I could have cared less. My motto has become if its gonna happen, its gonna happen and there is nothing I can do about it so might as well enjoy myself right up till the moment it does and then I will handle whatever it is when it happens. Nothing comes out of worrying although I almost have myself convinced it does and it is so hard to break that cycle. I truly wish you a happy healthy pregnancy that you get to enjoy for the great miracle it is. Keep us updated on how you are doing!!

Amanda

Return to “Free Form Discussion”