Question thought someone would probably know

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
ohboy
Brand New Poster

Re: Question thought someone would probably know

Postby ohboy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:03 pm

The answer to your question is yes, you can get c diff from an antiviral. I had just gotten over getting c diff from too many antibiotics. I had been sick since Dec 2017 first the flu, went into bronchitis, and then I got c diff. The flu reactivated the chicken pox virus that I got when older. So I got Valtrex from my doctor for the stubborn cold sores that would not go away, so what do I get? Yep c diff again, 3 months of this, and now 10 more weeks of Vancomycin.
I've lost 30 lbs. from this good thing I wasn't too skinny. Since I turned 65 meds are now acting different in my body, no more anti anything for me.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:38 am

Hi Ohboy and welcome to the site. Please check out the first forum for guidelines for new posters. You have posted on a thread from 2009. I don't think the poster even checks the site anymore.

As for you, it may not have been the Valtrex. I have relapsed with c difficile before when I got a virus. I think the virus ran my immune system down and that was what caused it. I have never taken an antiviral, so in my case it wasn't the reason.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:28 am

Its the chicken and egg situation.
Antibiotics lowered your immune system and caused c.diff.
The flu lowered your immune system yet again and let dormant chicken pox return and cause shingles.
C.diff just loves a low immune system so you relapsed (well within the time scale for a typical relapse).
Its doubtful if the anti viral causes c.diff ro return.
Much more likely it never went away and it took advantage of your lowered immunity to come roaring back.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:42 am

Agree with Roy , is not likely for a antiviral to give u Cdiff back , it was the weak immune response. It seems that your immune system is not really doing it's job properly since you ended up with chicken pox again and you have so many respiratory tract infections. You should probably get that checked , maybe do some bloodwork for: Ig , vitamins ,minerals.

ohboy
Brand New Poster

Postby ohboy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Thank you for the responses, and being 65 doesn't help I guess I'm on a downward path. My doc decided to do 10 more weeks of the Vancomycin and also thyroid problems adds to the immune problem I guess, oh well such is life. Just have to keep on going, again thanks for the responses.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:49 am

I have a thyroid auto-immune disease (Hashimoto's). Maybe that has something to do with it as well, but I know when I got a virus, I relapsed with c diff. When I get a virus it throws my thyroid way off too. I try to take extra vitamins and probiotics now when I get sick. You might also get the blood tests to check your immune system - the Igg, Iga, etc. Ask your GI or ID. There are specific ones for GI issues.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”