C Diff confusion

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
shamrockmom
New User

C Diff confusion

Postby shamrockmom » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:20 am

I just had my 3rd small bowel obstruction in the last 4 years No resection needed just surgical removal of the adhesions. My symptoms progressively got worse this time so my doctor ordered a stool test to check for
C Diff. My labs came back negative but the test they did is known to be inaccurate. I had every sign of C Diff and the diarrhea was getting more severe so instead of wasting more time retesting my doctor put me on Vancocin 250mg 4 times per day for 10 days. Diarrhea tapered off but stool is very loose and I still can’t manage to eat; nothing really stays in me very long. I have cramping and nausea after attempting very small spoonfuls of food like scrambled eggs, rice or toast. It is becoming very hard on my digestive tract that when there is an infection like c-diff present it is forcing my intestines to deal with foods that I cannot process properly. Basically I am on a liquid diet that consists of protein shakes and broth for I am trying to prevent the nausea and diarrhea from occurring. Don’t know how much longer I can stay on this type of diet.
Can c diff be causing my ongoing bowel problems which caused the inflammation from when I had the active bacterial infection? I never had IBS only a very slow bowel recovery due to gastroparesis that was diagnosed after my first surgery 4 years ago. I have read that it could take up to a year for a full recovery from this. How is anyone supposed to continue to function everyday while trying to cope with this horrible infection and it’s side effects? My doc is sending me for more stool tests to see if C Diff is present even though I just finished the Vancocin. Depending on my results he mentioned there is a possibility that I may need to be on Vancocin as a maintenance medication for about 1 year but is that going to mask the cause of everything? Has anyone ever experienced this before????

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi shamrockmom,

Though I've never experienced a small bowel obstruction, I can totally relate to the nausea and inability to eat after C-Diff...for months. Ugh. It was tough!!!!!!! I did not have D during this time, though. I was pretty much on the same diet as you, but I didn't have the other complications you have, so I slowly started introducing foods. Has the gastroparesis problem resolved? If not, this could account for nausea and inability to eat. I had this once when my fibromyalgia was at its worst. It took months to resolve, but did so on it's own.

Most people here suggest waiting at least 10 days (if I'm not mistaken) before stool testing after ABs for C Diff.

I had ID and GI docs working together for me, and this was invaluable! Certainly sounds like you have questions that you need to ask them (or your GI) about.

For instance, this one:
"Depending on my results he mentioned there is a possibility that I may need to be on Vancocin as a maintenance medication for about 1 year but is that going to mask the cause of everything?"

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I do feel for you about being on the liquid diet. If I were you, I would talk to my doc about the inability to digest solids. I couldn't eat toast either during C-Diff and for some time after. I was able to eat rice w/o nausea. I lived on crackers, rice and pedialyte for about a month and a half.

Please do consider asking your doc about your conerns. I think most of us here haven't had the other bowel problems you are mentioning.

Wishing you well,

Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:14 pm

shamrockmom,

I agree with Karen. Some of the info. on the site might help you, but with your other problems, I'd "run" everthing by your doctor. Do continue to post, however, for support.

I checked with another "authority" (a GI) on the time period before testing, & he said 3 to 4 days off Vanco. or Flagyl should be enough. Remember, doctors (or other people either) even if they are in the same field seldom agree. I posted this in another forum a couple of weeks ago -- but can't remember where. (Also copied in the info. on testing in FAQ.)

shamrockmom
New User

c diff confusion

Postby shamrockmom » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have tried rice but it leaves me with a very bloating feeling.I have also tried rice pudding and can only tolerate 2 teaspoons at a time. Crackers however are somewhat tolerable. I have been able to also tolerate applesauce recently. I went for the stool tests 3 days after finishing the Vanco. I went straight to the hospital lab for more accurate results per my GI's recommendation. Still no results yet. Does anyone have any websites to get the Vanco at reduced prices in case I need to be on this again because my local pharmacy charged me $1,300.00 for a 10 day supply (4 times day).

abby
New User

Postby abby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:22 pm

Another consideration may be that an all-liquid diet in itself is enough to cause loose stools. Some years ago, with no bowel issues whatever, I had to ingest only liquids and I had some occasional leakage from the lack of solids. This has also happened to people I know who've been fed through a J-tube.

abby

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Shamrockmom -

Go to this link for Patient Assistance Programs. Tons of useful info there in case you think you may need it. At the bottom is a toll free number for ViraPharma the manufacturer of Vancocin (they don't list it on their web site).

http://cdiffsupport.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=634

Contact several pharmacys in your area to see if they compound. They take the liquid Vanco and put it into a capsule form and the price is then very low. If can't find one, ask your doctor for recommendations, he should know. If you end up having to go on a 6 or 8 week taper, the cost is prohibitive w/o insurance.

Also, another member called Fire made his own from a powder to a liquid that you drink (they give that to you in hospital - that's what they gave me when I was hospitaized the second time). PM him and he can give you the info (search Member List at top of page).

Has your doctor suggested liquid nutrional supplements like Ensure w/Protein so at least you are getting vitamins? Don't have to drink all at once, can sip on them throughout the day. Some people don't like it or doesn't agree with tummy. A great alternative is Resource Breeze by Boost. It is thin and tastes very good, like a juice - my opinion is that Orange or Peach tastes best. So far, it is only sold at retail by Walgreens. Can order it off the Internet delivered to your home (used to offer free shipping, but when I just went to the site to get the link, noticed it now does not say free shipping) or go into a Walgreens and pay for it and they will order it delivered to the store within 2 days and not pay shipping costs. I wish Walgreens would just stock it. Here is the URL if you want to check it out and the reviews on it:

http://www.walgreens.com/search/search_ ... ze&x=7&y=6

Hope this info helps.
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

Return to “Free Form Discussion”