Stressed to the MAX! How do you cope?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
JohnB
Contributor

Stressed to the MAX! How do you cope?

Postby JohnB » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:49 pm

After being sick for so long I've had a lot of stress building up. Today I was so stressed I thought I would lose it if I didn't smile or laugh, and it's hard to even do that when you're sick. I was so stressed I ended up going to the hospital's acute psychiatric office. Now I'm home and I'm calmed down a little. But I'm wondering, how do you guys and gals deal with high stress? Funny movies? Breathing?

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to read every single post in the Humor section right now. :)

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:00 pm

xanax was a lifesaver for me literally when i had the Diff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:30 pm

See the Ten Commandments of Surviving Cdiff, and Coping with Cdiff, both in the FAQ section. I printed them both out and read them every day. Cdiff is terribly stressful, as we all know. Hang in there, it gets better.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:28 am

I took Valium during the day (only occasionally) along with clonazepam at night to help me sleep. OMG, I thought about going to a psych ward so many times, but I was afraid I'd get C-Diff or MRSA or some other god-awful bug while there. LOL!! You are NOT the only one who has a tough time dealing with this emotionally!!!! My psychiatrist helped a great deal, too :-) Xanax might be a better choice than valium (valium tends to slow down the gut which is not a good thing during active C-Diff). I actually took the valium after being cleared of C-Diff but was still so sick while my body was rebuilding the good bacteria. It was a STRUGGLE and many here know I had a hard time mentally with this illness. I had to come off of my antidepressant (an old tricyclic that slowed down the gut) when diagnosed with the C-Diff and that made matters worse. I was so grateful when I was able to restart it!

IT WILL GET BETTER WITH TIME!!!

Karen

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:37 am

I take Xanax now for the first time since my husband passed away 4 years ago.And I if end up having to taper to get off of it when this mess ever ends I will be happy to do it!
You are not alone, we are all at some time feeling it, John.
-hugs-

//Sue.
Hoping for a cure.

JohnB
Contributor

Postby JohnB » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:54 am

Thank you, all. I woke up this morning feeling quite a bit more positive. Next time I see my doctor I'll ask about Xanax. I've taken it before and it helped a great deal.

Suezer
Long Time Contributor

Postby Suezer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:38 pm

I hear you John!
My son gave me 500.00 to help cover the March rent and 450.00 of it went towards 3 weeks worth of Vanco. I keep my Xanax close and my friends,family even closer.

This illness will push you to every limit you have and it will devastate many areas of your life, but the way I see it, life is really hard right now but it sure beats the alternative.

Keep the faith!
Hoping for a cure.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:41 pm

JohnB,
I had C. diff. 4 yrs. (l993-l997) the first time (extenuating circumstances). I was finally "cured" by the "broth" (after one failure with it). (See Doctors - Dr. Allen - KC). I had C. diff. again two years later after another bout of pneumonia & an antibiotic. The broth worked the first time.
I've been free of active C. diff. since l999 but C diff. left me with other problems which could also be genetic or now (gasp) age related. My son also had C. diff. twice - once in l979 when almost no one knew anything about the disease) and again 6 yrs. later. I know all so well what a "stresser" it can be.

I worked most of the time I was ill & I think it saved what was left of my sanity. I also took Xanax just before I went to bed as I've had insomnia for years & C. diff. didn't help!

Nancy gave you good advice about info. in FAQ. Exercise helped me a lot. Also keeping busy with things that didn't involve illness. I know so well how easy this is to say & how difficult it is to do.

Remember, you will overcome this eventually. Honest. Don't let this awful disease ruin your life. Sandy has a beautiful saying:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”