GOOD NEWS

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Bobbie
Administrator

GOOD NEWS

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:24 pm

A reporter contacted Lauren & she forwarded the Email on to me. She wanted to speak to someone in the KC area re. C. diff. as she is writing an article on C. diff. for a KC health magazine.

I talked to her last night & answered more questions today. I told her to stress what C. diff. can do to you physically, emotionally, and financially & "go easy" on the gross symptoms. I gave her permission to use my name. I told her I might as well be famous before I die -- even if it's for having terminal D.

Will let you know when magazine comes out -- she is sending me a copy. Will find hyperlink & post info. You can say you knew me "When."

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:38 am

Good to hear about that Bobbie. Glad it was you with all your expertise and long experience as the spokesperson for so many, many people. Hope she really zeros in on the long-term after effects.

Too bad your "15 minutes of fame" has to be related to the beast, instead of some heroic feat you did.

Will look forward to reading it. Hopefully a major national magazine will pick up the article and run it.
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:50 pm

That's great news, Bobbie! Please let us know when it's available to read. She got a excellent ex C-Differ to help her understand it. I pray you remain in the "ex" catergory!

Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:19 pm

Thx., gals. Although reporter asked many questions, & I spent a lot of time, I haven't heard from her since. Small surprise there!

She did tell me she would send me a copy of the article when it comes out, & I'll look for it locally.

Doubt if it will be an "earth shaker." After years of this, I am doubtful.

By the way, the UK has mandatory reporting of C. diff. Would be great in the US, wouldn't it? Since it it left to the individual states, doubt if it will ever happen here. Some states have mandatory reporting but laws allow some "slips." For instance, no need to report unless a patient is hospitalized.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:35 am

Seems like I read somewhere that Ohio is the only State that has mandatory reporting by both doctors and hospitals to both their Health Dept. and CDC of all cases of C-Diff; and that CDC gets the rest of their numbers from only hospitals that volunteer the info. so obviously their numbers aren't correct, much less even close..

If someone has different info, please feel free to correct me.

I sent emails to all my State Senators and Representatives within a 50 mile radius that covers large metropolitan area. Replies were all the same - "Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention. My office will look into this." Then zip, nothing, never heard anything about it.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:00 pm

I was told Mass was the only one???

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:22 am

Last year a law was passed in SC mandating hospital infections to be reported and posted. Georgia is now the next on the hit list by an activist that I know. However, passing a law and having full compliance may be a bit hard to obtain in my opinion due to it giving hospitals a bad rep etc. One can only hope!
Cindy

Return to “Free Form Discussion”