Common Oral Osteoporosis Drugs Link To Serious Jaw Necrosis

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Common Oral Osteoporosis Drugs Link To Serious Jaw Necrosis

Postby klt03301 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:27 pm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 135207.htm

I've read where a couple of women that posted here have had jaw bone problems and I wanted to post this. I'm not sure if either are taking osteoporosis meds, but think one may be. Thought it might be useful.

I went for a scheduled dental cleaning today and was asked about meds I was taking. I was specifically asked about drugs for osteoporosis, then given a form I was required to sign stating I had not taken any. There were numerous drug names listed. The dentist told me that they had been linked to serious jaw necrosis. I googled it, and came up with the above link. Don't know if the link will work, but if interested, just google it.

This is one more reason I dislike taking meds and try to go the natural route. The doctors either don't tell you about side effects or tell you they're safe, and years later you find out they weren't safe. Also, one more reason women in particular should be eating a healthy diet and getting plenty of EXERCISE to strenghten our bones!

Karen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:00 am

Karen,
You are so right. The best meds. are no meds. Thx. for hyperlink.

I've had osteoporosis for years -- diagnosed about a year into. C. diff. I think the C. diff. (malasorbption) contributed but I also was on steroids (usually inhaled) for years for asthma, have a family history of osteoporosis,, & have the sterotypical body build for osteo.: slight frame, of Nordic background, & blue eyes.

At first they tried me on estrogen. Then estrogen became a "no no." I couldn't tolerate Fosamax so was on Actonel for 7 years when I developed pain in my jaw & several dentists (dentist, periodontist, endodontist). Dentist, perio, thoght they saw bone reabsorpton in my jaw. However, this was were I had osteomylelisis in l993. Finally, my osteo. doc. said, "Go off the Actonel; it stays in your body for 7 yrs. anyway." Duh, why don't didn't anyone tell me about this before? The pain in my jaw stopped almost immediately.

Long story longer: Now I am on Forteo -- a new med. given by shot (self administered.) About l wk. into the treatment, I developed pain in my jaw again. I went back to the dentist & he did a complete panel of X-rays which indicated the bone in my jaw was actually thicker than in l993.

Called Eli Lily (manufacturers of Forteo) & talked to a rude rep. Called back & talked to someone more helpful. (Lily supervisor was supposed to call me today re. complaint; no one did.) Also called my osteoporosis doc. -- no return call as yet. Called several pharmacists & did some other research. So far Forteo is not implicated in bone loss. However, it has a "black box" warning. Can only take for two years, but it caused bone cancer in some rats during testing. Fortunately, I am not a rat! I am concerned, however.

Wouldn't go through all this except my osteoporosis is severe & I fractured a vetebra in my back several months ago. I feel as though Forteo is my last chance. (Have seen what osteo. can do in many cases. The pain of a broken vertebra was horrendous.)

I've finished with PT & am back in Jazzercise. Couldn't go today, however, because I hurt my back pushing my mother in a wheelchair.

Be sure you get adequate calcium plus Vit.D. 1000 IU is now considered the proper amount of D. Years ago, docs. warned against too much Vit A & D. Now D is "it." Probably will not be soon.

I am sick of dentists, docs., pharm. companies but unfortunately can't do without them.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi Bobbie.

I'm really sorry to hear you've hurt your back. Hope it feels better soon! Thanks for the info about the Vitamin D. I currently don't take any supplements, but I'll be getting some.

I posted this because I thought perhaps you were taking osteo meds and I remembered a problem you had with your jawbone.

I don't think people realize how dangerous osteoporosis is. I understand why you have to take the meds. All we can do is just try to keep ourselves healthy!

Hope you and everyone else has a great day! I'm off to be with my grandson :-)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:26 pm

Karen,
Back is better & went to Jazzercise. Third time and I can keep up!
It will take a long time to get back to where I was, however.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:24 pm

Bobbie,

SO GLAD to hear this news. You'll be back to where you were before you know it :-)

Karen

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:57 pm

Uh oh, Roy, you are big trouble now!! With your wife too!!

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:46 am

Roy:

I'd like to help you out on this issue....my suggestion is to find a window and jump !!! Preferably as few stories off of the ground.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:27 pm

roy,
You are in such trouble.

I developed osteomyletis in my jaw because I ground my teeth from stress after developing C. diff., broke several teeth, and a male oral surgeon screwed up the extraction which caused an infection & ultimately osteomyletis. Was on IV Vanco. (plus oral for C. diff.) for 7 wks. & then had to have my teeth rebuilt -- braces, bridges -- still have to wear 2 oral appliances at night.

Now, don't you feel badly??

Too bad we don't know how to reach your wife!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:25 pm

Apology accepted. Guess, we'll let you stay -- especially since you do so much on the site.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:15 am

A self portrait?

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:10 am

You guys are cracking me up! It feels so good to laugh again :-)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:23 pm

Ah, hah!

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:49 am

Roy's Wife to tell on him!

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Two more articles from weekly Medical News Today newsletter on this subject:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/134381.php

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/134360.php
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:18 pm

Thx., Sandy.
I was on Actonel for 7 yrs. when I developed jaw symptoms but it could be related to osteomyletis I had in l993 in that area.

I'm now on Forteo -- a shot I give myself in the stomach every night. (Not as bad as it sounds; small needle.) Has been "out" 6 yrs. It's my last hope of dealing with osteoporosis so I am willing to take my chances. Got to die of somthing -- would rather it be with unbroken bones.

I am on so many meds. -- my co-pays are horrendous -- $150.00 a month for the Forteo alone! Never could understand how people allowed themselves to be on so many meds., but after C. diff. (think it was because I had it such a long time), I developed one thing after another -- although previously healthy. Now, old age is kicking in, too! Find it's best to keep busy.

I'm back in Jazzercise. Can't "twist" so not as much fun, but I'll accomodate. Was surprised I can keep up -- oldest one there.

Gotta love the medical & pharm. fields!!! If the don't kill us, they will cure us.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”