Body cleanse before surgery/procedures

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Renee
New User

Body cleanse before surgery/procedures

Postby Renee » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:13 pm

This is just some information my surgeon recently gave me that I thought was important enough to pass on. Before any surgery or procedure and being C-diff sensitive, he wants me to use a body wash that can be found at the drug stores (you may have to ask for it) called Hibiclens (about $10.00) before the surgery/procedure as a skin prep. It is a broad spectrum antimicrobial skin cleanser. I had never heard of this before, and being prone to kidney stones I wanted to have it on hand at home.

As always, this is just my doctors opinion that I am passing on.
Thank you to all for all you have done for this site.
Many blessings,
Renee
Renee

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:25 pm

Roy was right on target.

I used this for two days prior to my hysterectomy and followed the instrucitons to a "T". I didn't get MRSA, but I sure came home with C Diff :-(

Karen

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:47 am

As bad as CDiff is, MRSA can be even worse so the body wash is worth it just for that. I tried to find something like that before my surgery but neither my doctor nor the pharmacist could recommend anything, so I scrubbed myself as clean as I could with antibacterial soap. I didn't catch anything but it probably had more to do with my husband cleaning everything in my hospital room with bleach. The nurses laugh when they saw we had our own bottle of bleach, but it worked!

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:48 am

Hey Roy!
Let's start a BRING-YOUR-OWN-BOTTLE-OF-BLEACH-TO-THE HOSPITAL campaign! I think I'll post something to that effect...or maybe it's already been done?

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:37 am

Maybe Clorox could use us as their poster people! ha! God knows I have given them a lot of business!
Cindy

Return to “Free Form Discussion”