Media Reports

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
MaryT
Regular Contributor

Media Reports

Postby MaryT » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm

Anyone else notice that media report postings from the US news media are far and few between? Majority seem to be from UK. Is this a disappointing indication that cdiff is still not be addressed in this country?

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:22 pm

I totally agree with you. I am always excited to get news from the US although it is very rare.

If there is anyone who has a problem with my posting stories from the UK and other countries. Please let me know because, it may not seem like it but it is alot of work to post all those articles and belive it or not I dont usually post all of them. So if any of you feel like I shouldnt be posting these stories let me know. It really is hard work and I dont want to feel like I am wasting my time.

I actually just got on here to post the Google alerts for today but, I will hold off until I here some of your responses.

Thanks.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi Heather
I appreciate all the time it takes for you to post the media articles, I can imagine it is not a quick process. Although I always open the Media Reports I now only read the articles that I think have new information or that someone has reccommended to read. At one time I was reading everything but so much of it is repetitive and it makes me feel doomed. I'm waiting for that one special article that finally says they have a new treatment or cure. I'll be interested in what others say. Thank you for your hard work and dedication.
Carrie

raj138
New User

Postby raj138 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:31 am

I agree, I tend to avoid the "doom and gloom" articles because they do tend to get repetative. I know its hard have a life and support this site, so my vote would be to post articles related to progress and/ or increased awareness in the US

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:07 am

I disagree. It's important to know what is "going on" in other countries.

I did Media Reports for years until Heather was good enough to take on the job. I did what she does -- exclude some of the repetitive reports from other countries but list new stories & always those from the US.

Don't forget -- C. diff. isn't increasing in the US. Perhaps our media doesn't report C. diff. as frequently as other countries do because it is probably easier in other countries like the UK because they are dealing with one health institution -- the NHS -- while we have different regulations from all the states. Also, the US seems do do a better job at isolating C. diff. patients -- thx. to private insurance. (In the UK, you can wind up in a ward with people with all different forms of infection.)

I don't always read Media Reports thoroughly but always glance through them.

Thanks again, Heather, for a great job.

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:01 am

Agree with Bobbie - many of those articles helped me in discussions with my own doctor, as she and I learned together with my relapsing C Diff. She also referenced this site, along with the print outs I would bring to her during my treatment. I guess my biggest hope is, that MAYBE US doctors will read information posted on this site as well - as it is referenced on many many medical sites. Its relatively "new and unknown" here in the states - but with the rising stats, any awareness is a positive.

Just my two cents, and thanks for all of your hard work Heather.
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:37 am

"I hate having to lie on my side to read them..."

ROFL!

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:29 pm

ROFL...........!!

omg Sir Roy. Seriously dude. Seek professional help...LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...!!!
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 pm

I read them every day, Heather. Not every single one, but I've noticed that the majority are from the UK. I think it's still a good idea to post (sorry, I know that adds to your work load). I agree that it's probably due to the fact that they have one health organization to deal with, that they do feel they have someone to blame. The US should be posting more and I hope any physician visiting here reads them. It is important to know what's going on in other parts of the world. More awareness, more communication, and maybe we will all benefit. I appreciate your hard work and the time it takes. Thank you!

Karen

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:56 am

Thank you all for your insight. I have come to the decision that I am going to keep posting them. I will do my best to try and not to post story's that are repetitive.

Thanks Again!
Heather

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:27 am

I did not issue this post to complain about media reports from other countries, but rather to post my feeling that the US media/medical community are failing in the level of attention given to cdiff in the US. I feel the reports from other countires are equally important, because I feel a cure will probably come from another country rather than the US as we are not paying enough attention to it here.

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:55 pm

Just adding my own opinion, but certainly wish I never made the post in the first place.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:24 pm

Mary,

Please dont be sorry for your post. I know that you were not complaining about the Media Reports. The only reason that I asked about the UK articles is because it is something that I have been curious about. I just wanted to see what everyones opinion was. Your question just gave me reason to ask it.
Heather

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:09 am

Hi Mary.....thats exactly how I took your post - that there wasnt enough US coverage in general, and that Heather was simply polling to see what we wanted to read in the future. Please dont be sorry! You are entirely correct - there ISNT enough coverage here in the states. Personally, I still do the happy dance every time I see C Diff mentioned in print - and lately its even been on the tube more and more.

Think it was just a misunderstanding, please dont stop posting!

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:42 pm

Part of the problem in the US as I understand it, is that only one of the 50 States require C-Diff infections to be reported to their Health Department by hospitals, doctors and pharmacies. That State is Ohio.

I personally have emailed my State Representatives, State Senators, US Senators, and US Representatives that they should make this mandatory in all 50 States. I've also emailed the 3 major local and national TV stations in my area (Fox, NBC and ABC) as they all have some type of Health section.

Perhaps if everyone on this site will do the same, perhaps we can get some action in the US, thus resulting in more media coverage. Just go to your State's website and it will list everyone you need to bombard with emails. TV book in Sunday paper, or TV Guide list their info.

Sandy
Southeast Michigan
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

Return to “Free Form Discussion”