Getting the word out about antibiotics

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Nancy1
Administrator

Getting the word out about antibiotics

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:29 pm

My PCP just retired, so today I went to meet my new doc. I like her. She knew something about cdiff, and suggested that I try taking VSL #3, to see if it helps with my problems when I eat fiber. I was happy that she had even heard of probiotics.

What impressed me a lot was a pamphlet she had on the rack. The front page says "Do you need an antibiotic? Maybe. (And in red letters) Maybe not!" It goes on to say "An antibiotic may not be right for you." And "Overuse of antibiotics is a serious health concern." It is published by Pfizer, of all people. Hurray, I'm glad that the word is getting out about antibiotics not being the end all and be all!

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:43 am

It is about time- don't you think? Doctors are still too quick to prescribe them especially with children. Scary world today!
Cindy

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:39 pm

Wow Nancy. It sounds like you have a great new doc there! I've had a sinus infection for the past two weeks and went to see a doc in my group I'd never seen before. He immediately was going to give me antibioitics, but I told him no thanks and explained to him that I'd had C Diff. I went to see the doc b/c I had the worst sore throat I've had in years and I justed wanted to make sure it wasn't strep. For anyone suffering from a sinus infection, I took something called Aller-Sine and used a nasal wash called XClear. It cleared up within 3 days. They are both homeopathic remedies, but after trying Claritin for 2 days and suffering severe dry mouth, I wanted to try something else. I'll be avoiding the doc I saw and try to just stick with my regular PCP...she's not generous w/AB's. I wish my docs had that pamphlet in their office!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”