Recently diagnosed on 6th week of TX.

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Kathy H.
New User

Recently diagnosed on 6th week of TX.

Postby Kathy H. » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:11 am

Thank you for the site and the info. Very helpful.

I won't trouble you with my story. It is the same tale, & we all would like to hear the words "The End," I'm sure.

Being treated by new doc. small town, so I am working hard at learning possible out comes.

On my 3rd round of 10 ten day tx. with Flagyl. And did have 10 day course of Vaco. just prior. Am trying hard to tolerate the nausea, and the gut pain. I am wondering at what point or would I bother with a scope to rule out other issues? I keep spiking back up to around 22 thou. on the white count just after each med. course. The fever has never really stopped though it hovers around 100. on the meds.

How many relapses have people encountered?

Thanks again for your posts, I been through many.

[/b]

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:02 pm

Kathy H,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas of FAQ that interest you.

Because this is not a medical site, I can't answer your question about when to get a scope. I would talk to my doc about this. Are you seeing a GI or an ID doc? I felt very queasy on Flagyl, and I don't think I can tolerate it again. Since you are having a lot of nausea, I suggest talking to your doc about taking vanco instead of Flagyl.

Many folks here have had cdiff for months or years, so some of us can't even count our relapses. I had cdiff for 8 months, with 3 relapses. What finally worked for me was a very long (4 month) pulse of vanco. See the FAQ section for info about pulsing. They tell me that everyone beats cdiff eventually. You will too. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Kathy H.
New User

Postby Kathy H. » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:19 am

Thanks Nancy.

I was originally on Flagyl, then ten days of Vaco. and back to Flagyl. I've read about the pulsing, and am doing just that now on Flagyl. I had thought of titering down, but until I listened to the audio presentations did not know that might give results or at least check the process.

Have young person with same in area, and of course it took months before they tried to tx. I was lucky, my sister-in law fresh out of nursing asled the right questions. Otherwise I would have down played the description of D. at the hosp.

I have been hydrated twice, each time K. was needed in the IV. Have now lost 17 pounds, but in that size 8. Not a diet I endorse. I am beginning to get just a bit frightened.

Positive for W. Nile two years ago. Tx'd with antibiotics and this same thing happened. The IG g's went up with a left shift. I laid at home for weeks trying to recoup. No C diff mentioned. I was hydrated twice, and scaned. The bowel loop showed thickening. I didn't even consider this was the actual cause for those symptoms.

This time no shift of white cells. All were up. IG-g not highly elevated. It is hard to believe I could have had these milder S/S for two years. I quit trying to figure out why. Then I went to DDS appt. got IM antibiotic over three dates and boom droped back into the severe course.

I am not having a good feeling about this current onset. But lots could be worse.

Again I thank you for your reply. I will let you know how the pulsing of med. works.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:32 pm

I lost 27 pounds total to cdiff, 20 pounds in the first month, when I was misdiagnosed. Then I think size 8 was even a little too large for me. So I know it is scary. Primadophilus reuteri helped me get my appetite back, so I didn't have to force myself to eat and I could finally stop losing weight. This was after I switched from Flagyl to vanco.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:19 am

I lost almost 40 in six weeks i was so freaking ill nauseated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy H.
New User

Postby Kathy H. » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:32 pm

See,

Not so bad when you have others with same going on. I am handing out badges of thanks.

Yesterday good day for me. I can't get over how much sleep I seem to want with this. I get up and go for a while then just run out of steam. I take it that is all about nutritional status so I am not so worried about that.

Pulsing seems to be holding all. Should there be no quick relapsing about how long did it you guys to feel like you could hold the day without naps?

K

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:16 pm

I was utterly exhausted during my first several months of cdiff. During that time my dad died, and my sister was dying, so I was flying back and forth to West Virginia, where they both lived. Cdiff is not fun on airplanes. I eventually took Paxil and Klonopin so I could cope and I could sleep. The exhaustion got better after the first 3 months or so.

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:39 am

ughh the exhaustion. Agree with Nancy, and my doc gave me a few ativan to ensure I did get sleep - she said that sleeping was healing. It lasted for quite a while after I was in the clear, and then would hit very hard each month during "that time of month". Amazing how long the effects of this bug linger.
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

Return to “Free Form Discussion”