H Pylori

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
JenRenee5
New User

H Pylori

Postby JenRenee5 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:30 pm

Anyone here have this or have heard of it? During my egd they took a biopsy to test for this I won't know for a few days whether I have it or not I was just curious if anyone knew any information.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:15 pm

just tested myself about a month ago came up negative but the doc said YIKES if you do have it they normally prescribe Cipro and another AB not Fagly or Vanco I was worried to death about it tested and biopsed thru endoscopy.

JenRenee5
New User

Postby JenRenee5 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:06 pm

I've done some reading and found out Flagyl is one of the antibiotics they use but that doesn't cheer me up. That stuff to me was like death. Ugh when will it end. Still crossing my fingers that i don't have it though.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:48 pm

My brother had this and was in so much pain he couldn't eat. Lost 12 pounds in two weeks. I was tested because of C Diff but negative. My brother took an antibioic for it along with flagyl and he was fine. He's actually complaing of carrying too much weight now because his appetite is so good. If you have it and simply can't take the flagyl, ask for anti nausea meds if that's the problem you had w/it, or ask for the vanco. I started right out w/vanco for C Diff due to flayl allergy. Wishing you the best...Karen

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Absolutely no reason to panick, even if you have it. Supposedly 50-70% of the population are carriers. Most people never have any problems. Treamtment is ONLY recommended if you have ulcers, gastritis or other persistant stomach problems, otherwise the recommendation is to just ignore it. It does not in any way lead directly to cancer. It's just that a correlation has been found between ulcers and gastric cancer and H. Pylori and while one used to think that gastrtis had mostly psychological reasons until the 1980ies, we now know that H. pylori ist most often responsible. So, if you are symptomatic, your doc will consider treatment, but if you have c. diff or recently had c. diff, you may not get or want to get treatment. I am positive for it myself and I had gastritis but I am not even thinking about treatment right now.

Treatment usually is with a triple regimen of 2 ABs plus PPIs. AB regimens are Flagyl/Clindamycin plus PPI and Amoxicillin plus I think Flagyl again plus PPI. WAY too broad for my liking.

So, honestly, try to read up on it but be assured that most people that have it will never get treatment and will NOT get cancer either.

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:10 pm

Got it wrong, it's flagyl + clarithromycin plus PPI, at least not clindamycin, our beloved friend ;-)- However, it was 4 weeks after this combination that C diff got confirmed in my case, so... I had been on a few other ABs before and even after that as well, but still. I'd very carefully weigh the pros and cons of treatment in the face of c diff.

JenRenee5
New User

Postby JenRenee5 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:15 pm

thanks for all the replies i think i get the results tomorrow. hopefully they are negative and i do have gastritis.

JenRenee5
New User

Postby JenRenee5 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:54 pm

if that is whats causing the gastritis..i guess i could deal with it a while. It does cause a lot of discomfort and pain. I guess if it comes back positive i will talk with the doc and weigh out my options.

JenRenee5
New User

Postby JenRenee5 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:05 pm

well the hpylori came back negative. yippee at least something to be optimistic about. :)

Return to “Free Form Discussion”