Ciprofloxacin

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Christina
Long Time Contributor

Ciprofloxacin

Postby Christina » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:16 am

I was surprised but glad to see as I was reading the insert for Ciprofloxacin Ophthalmic solution which my daughter was prescribed for conjunctivitis last Friday, that it states:

Most strains of of Pseudomonas maltophilia are resistant to ciprofloxacin as are most anaerobic bacteria, including Bacteroides fragilis and Clostridium difficile.

Ever so slowly are we making progress.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

cipro

Postby fire7163 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:04 pm

Christina

One drug down and a bunch more to go. My primary Doc just called, has a new patient who's been taking large doses of cipro developed strange abdominal symptoms, so he ran a stool culture and she's postive for C-diff...imagine that. I feel sorry for her diagnosis....but he called for the support site info for her and is spreading the word to the other local Md's. At least we are making some progress.

Stay Healthy

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:57 pm

Christina,
Glad to see med. was labeled so there has been progress, but this brings up another subject.

Often a narrower spectrum antibiotic (such as sulfa) will work on conjunctivitis --iif your daughter isn't allergic to sulfa. Many times, docs go right to the "big guns," but I don't know all the facts and am in not in the medical field.

fire7163,
Glad your doc. is "spreading the word." Wish there were more like him.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

hmmmmmmmmm?

Postby TheVike » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:03 pm

those of you who are familiar with my story...remember I came down with what I thought was a relapse recurrence of C diff while abroad dOC SAID TAKE THE Cipro twice A day for three days to stop D or Ecoli (travelors dIAHREA) what he guessed and GUESS what it stopped it/worked!?!?!? Have been D free ever since this was back on June25th I think. Now on the other hand the "stomach" never quite the same ever since C Diff in April!!! DEaling with it and have only had one maybe two bad days rumbling gurgling gas wetc... lil nausea. Sudbsided after a day or two strange sickness illlness this C Diff stuff I hate it It has left me with what I take after reading all here is IBS!!

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:38 pm

It was a combo. of Cipro,Levaquin and Doxicycline (one or all) that caused my C-diff so I will never ever take Cipro again. It is a no,no drug anyway.

My daughter is obviously allergic to it as she broke out in hives and itch last night. I had to rush her to urgent care as her body is completely covered. Two Dr.'s say the eye drops will not cause an allergic reaction but allergist,pharmacist and 3 websites all said it can. I stopped the Cipro today and she is now on around the clock Benadryl and anti itch cream until it goes away. Just another problem with the health care here and again nobody ever agrees!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:44 pm

I've never found 2 doctors (even in the same field) who agree on much. Recently, I had to make a choice about stopping Actonel for osteoporosis. It took me 4 appointments with 4 different docs./dentists & many hours of research to make a decision. Still not sure I did the right thing but my "experts" weren't much help.

Sorry about your daughter. Sometimes eye infections clear up on their own with warm compresses.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”