New here

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
suttsd2
New User

New here

Postby suttsd2 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:28 pm

Well this of course is the last place I wanted to find myself but here I am looking for hope. I am fighting this monster and reading all of the good and bad, so maybe I will one day be one of the happy stories also. Even though this just happened to me, I have had three neg. stools come back so i'm praying I'm on my way, just got out of the hospital yesterday and feeling very tired and weak, I'm doing the best I can to fight this for my little ones and husband who have been my rock through all of this, I will pray for all of you because no one can truely understand unless you have been there.

I got c diff while in the hospital back in May of this year, I had a seizure while taking a bath and my husband found me and did CPR and saved my life, and was given many antibiotics to complicate things even more, I take topamax for those now, after about three weeks after leaving I started with the stomach problems put it off to a bug, after three weeks went in and gave a stool culture and it came back with a pos. c diff was so sick they put me in the hospital for 6 days and now I'm home on flagyl 500 mg 3 times a day and vancomycin 250 mg every 6 hours this is my first and hopefully last round please pray for me I'll need it : )

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

I will.....

Postby TheVike » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:58 pm

been thru much of what you aqre going through and hopefully have beaten it ..the vast majority of us willll but it is a MONSTER and is very often moreso than not a loooong recovery! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

bluemnm37
New User

good luck

Postby bluemnm37 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:07 pm

I wish you the best of luck in that this last treatment will finally kick it!! I'm sure we'll all be thinking and prayin for you, and yes, most of us have been thru the BAD times so we all know what you're going thru. And you're not alone!
Tania

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:40 am

Welcome to the group that no one wants to join, and as you say, the last place you expected to find yourself. Whew, you have really been through some hard times. Most people, about 80%, recover from cdiff after 1-2 rounds of Flagyl or vanco, so I really hope you are in the lucky majority.

Be sure to read Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all the parts of the FAQ section that concern you. Hang in there. Let us know how it goes.

suttsd2
New User

new here

Postby suttsd2 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:14 am

I was also wondering about the spacing of the probiotic and the vancomycin, I have been waiting two hours in between is this enough time? Also can anyone recommend a good mutil vit. that has seem to work for them? I will also ask my doctor at my next appt. Thanks for any advice. still praying for all : )

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:45 am

suttsd2,
Would space probiotics & Vanco./Flagyl as far apart as possible but difficult if you are on both Vanco. & Flagyl. Some experts say to wait until you are off these meds. to start probiotics; others say to go ahead & take them as there will be some benefit. Often there is a toll-free # you can call on probiotics pkg. I'd call it & ask for advice. See FAQ-Probioitics.

Ask your doc. about vitamin. I take Centrum -- as good as any multi-vitamin & often on sale. Be aware of "mega vits." -- those that contain far in excess of recommended dosages. Be sure you take additional calcium if you cannot tolerate dairy products.

Hope you read first forum on home page PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST & its subtopics -- a guide to using the site.

suttsd2
New User

Fingers Crossed

Postby suttsd2 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:54 am

Well, I finished all the anitibiotics last week and see the GI on Monday have felt a little better but not 100%, maybe never, but would take even 80% at this point. I'm taking the probiotics now and keeping fingers crossed, and holding on to the 3 day rule, my stomach is feeling pretty bad today and i'm praying c diff is not knocking on my door, but I know the chance is already high. This was only my first round so I already know my chances, but I can still hold on to faith, just thought I would vent a bit and let you guys know. I'll keep you posted and maybe I can write soon under the success stories : ) wouldn't that be GREAT !!! you all are in my thoughts and prayers !!!

Stephanie

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:29 pm

suttsd2,
If this is your first round of Vanco. (& sounds as though it is), you have a high change of getting over this. About 80% recover with one round of Vanco./Flagyl.

Remember, it might take awhile to feel 100%. Some people (about l out of 5) develop IBS. Symptoms are similar. (See FAQ-IBS.)

If in doubt, call your doctor. Good luck

suttsd2
New User

new here

Postby suttsd2 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:15 pm

Thank you for the info, I guess I just get scared reading about all of the relapses, and also wondering if one does relapse does the time between them vary, meaning could it be possible to relapse when you just get off of an antibiotic. I guess I just need to write all of this down and have it on hand for the doctor on Monday, I can already tell he's gonna love me : ) I'll be one of those that they will want to get better !!!!!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:25 am

Stephanie,
The time between stopping an antibiotic and a relapse can vary between 1-70 (or even more) days. After cdiff it can take a while to return to normal. I hope you feel better soon. Good luck at your doc's on Monday.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”