Frustration with Medications

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
MaryT
Regular Contributor

Frustration with Medications

Postby MaryT » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:40 pm

Does anyone else have problems with medication (both OTC and prescription)? I am so frustrated. I am gluten and lactose intolerant. I have also discovered over the years via trial and error, that taking medicines containing (mannitol (why I can't take Lactaid), sorbitol and magnesium (why I can't take many vitamins) bother my stomach. They cause cramping, frequency and at times diarrhea. If I take a medicine with lactose I get sick every two or three days.

I am frustrated because I need a PPI and have tried almost all on the market but they all contain at least one of these ingredients. I now also need a cholesterol medicine and have the same issue.

I know they use these ingredients as binding agents, but why on earth would a medicine made to stop diarrhea from a food intolerance add an ingredient that has a side effect of diarrhea (i.e. Lactaid).

I am need these medicines and these ingredients cause cramping, etc.

I'm just so frustrated and needed to vent!

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:34 pm

Have you checked with a good compounding pharmacy?
They would surely be able to help with at least some of your meds by custom tailoring them to your needs.

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:51 pm

Oh Allison, that's a good idea. Years ago I had my HRT compounded for bioidentical hormones. I didn't know if PPI's or cholesterol meds could be compounded, but I'll check with that same pharmacy I used to use.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”