Will this be a new member soon?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Christina
Long Time Contributor

Will this be a new member soon?

Postby Christina » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:24 am

Just though I'd share this story. Last night my husband and I went out to dinner with a friend to celebrate her Birthday. She told us she was on Augmentin for a sinus infection but she was concerned because it didn't seem to be working this time. My husband proceeded to ask her if maybe it could be viral and not bacterial. Maybe just a bad cold. She said no because her nasal mucous was green and that was a sure sign of a sinus infection. I kept my mouth shut on that one knowing most medical studies now say that green does not always indicate a bacterial infection and it could just be the end result of a cold. She then continued on about the Augmentin not working so I opened my mouth and asked "Do you always take Augmentin when you have a sinus infection?". She said yes and that her Dr. always give her that over and over. I again kept my mouth shut but was thinking in my head either it's not working because it's really a cold or it's not working because it has become resistant to the Augmentin.My husband told her then to be careful as I got sick from taking to many antibiotics. She turned her head away and quickly changed the subject. I'm not even sure she listened to that at all. All of a sudden she started up again that she would be Ok anyway because she never even finished any of her courses that where prescribed for her. She always just stopped half way through. I then opened my mouth and told her my concern for resistance. She shrugged it off by saying I'll be OK because I always do this and again quickly changed the subject. She obviously didn't care and believes that nothing bad will happen to her. When my husband and I left we discussed how dumb this person actually is and discussed her efforts of trying to out wit us.
On another note, my neighbors daughter was prescribed the z-pack for bronchitis. the neighbor bragged to me the next day about how quickly her daughter was beginning to feel better. A few days later after her course of antibiotics was finished, she came over to play with my daughter. I quickly threw them outside as she began to hack all over my kitchen table. her older sister then told me as I complained that she had bronchitis and could not be in my house that she was all better now because she took her antibiotics. That was two weeks ago and the girl is still hacking away. She was given the antibiotic the day after her cough began and the Dr. told them it would clear her up. I decided to keep my mouth shut once again knowing that 95% of the time bronchitis is viral and over a period of a few days to a couple of weeks it will clear up on it's own. I'm getting tired of biting my tongue and can't believe how idiotic some people/Dr.'s can be.

Just some things to think about today. I hope it's a good one for everybody.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:59 am

I agree. So few people now little about antibiotics - including docs. I confess -- I was one of them many years ago BCD (before C. diff.) until my son lst got C. diff. in l979. Years ago, when a doc. prescribed an antibiotic, you didn't dare question him/her re. it. Later, I found out by the time they don't get that much training on meds. (it might be better now), the meds. they do know something about are usually "outdated" by the time they leave med. school, & they usually rely on the PDR & drug reps. (who are "selling"). I always call a pharmacist -- in fact several -- re. every medication now.

Your friend does sound particularly unaware, however. Not finishing an antibiotic (unles syou have a reaction to it) defeats the purpose of taking it & does build resistance.

I must admit I was much happier when I was dumb and trusting.
Last edited by Bobbie on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:45 pm

You know my sisters are the same way. Always on meds for sinus infection and my nephew too. They dont ever get c-diff from it. My younger sister works at the GI department here and knows all about c-diff. Shes always on Augmentin or Amoxicillin and never finishes it! She does eat yogurt with hers but I dont understand why they dont catch this crap! Escpecially when she works there and sees patients with c-diff alot! Im always lecturing them on c-diff. On Another note Ive now known two 2 year olds that have gotten c-diff. One got rid of it with just the Metro and the other is still taking it. They have a hard time getting him to take it. I live in South Dakota and there are starting to be more and more cases here.

supersmurf
Contributor

Postby supersmurf » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:20 pm

I completely agree with all of you. So many people are just not aware of the problems associated with antibiotics and there overuse - it is scary....
Like Bobbie, I was not aware of the risks of antibiotics before C-diff either - but now..... I think I would have to be almost dead to take them.
Doctors really need to educate their patients better about these risks, but it seems that in many cases Dr's do not feel c-diff is a significant risk factor. Maybe I'm out to lunch here, but one case of c-diff is one too many if you ask me.
The bracelets you did up Christina are a help though - I've had lots of questions about mine. Even thought it isn't the most polite topic (I usually avoid too many gory details), I tell people about the disease and most are horrified that antibioitics can do this. Usually if you tell people, "yeah, I got an infection from taking antibiotics" they take notice.

Sharon

hilldk
Regular User

idiots

Postby hilldk » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:56 pm

I feel the very same about the ignorance of the America public when it comes to all medication, especially antibiotics. If I hear one more mother say the doctor gave her child antibiotics for an ear infection--most often viral--I will scream. Why aren't the doctors held more accountable for what they prescribe? Isn't that the point of them having a medical degree and license to practice--knowing what medicine works for what illness? I got c-diff from the dentist prescribing clindamycin--I don't think dentists should even be allowed to write prescriptions anymore. People will not listen until it happens to them. Just like smokers and cancer, frequent antibiotic users will not learn until it happens to them.
Kristi

Return to “Free Form Discussion”