GI yeast infection

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
hilldk
Regular User

GI yeast infection

Postby hilldk » Mon May 14, 2007 3:59 pm

A friend of a friend has contacted me because her sister had symptoms similar to mine. Her GI doctor told her she has a GI yeast infection. I hadn't ever seen this on the site and wondered if anyone had heard of it or if she should get a new doctor. She had c-diff (three recurrences) and is still having diarrhea and becomes incoherent. I told her the name of my doctor since I'm afraid she still has the c-diff.
Kristi

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Mon May 14, 2007 7:11 pm

How did they diagnose this? Blood test? Great Smokies stool test?
How do they know there is yeast in the GI system? Common treatments for this are Nystatin 9which is not absorbed into the blood, stays in gut) and Diflucan, absorbed into the blood, covers whole body.
Probiotics are a good idea! If taking Diflucan, dont bother taking florastor or it will just kill it off since it is a fungus. :) Good luck

hilldk
Regular User

Postby hilldk » Tue May 15, 2007 9:09 am

I don't know all those answers as I never had all the problems she seems to have. If they contact me again regarding my doctor, I'll ask those questions.
Thanks.

nikki0294
Contributor

Fungus

Postby nikki0294 » Tue May 22, 2007 8:58 pm

I read your post and am familiar with what you are speaking about as my daughter had leukemia and was tested so many times for this I can't begin to count. With her if she had a fever they would first rule out bacterial and viral infections. If fever still persisted then they would treat for fungal infections prophalactically while culturing her broviac lines, nose, mouth, stool, etc... The would treat with a drug called amphotericin IV which is strong. Fungal infections are common in neutropenic patients (those with no white blood cell counts to fight off infection). It is a severe infection that I thought only immunocompromised were at high risk for but I am not too sure now. With the kids we have seen with fungal infections they are severely sick. They would always use diflucan for fungal infections if she had counts and no fever. I thought there were stool tests for fungal infections. I am going to look into it.
Chris

Patti K
New User

GI yeast

Postby Patti K » Sat May 26, 2007 10:16 pm

Hello,

I have been dealing with chronic yeast infections since my 8 month battle with c.diff which included many rounds of flagyl and a 13 week course of vanco. I know there is a stool test that can be done to check for yeast but my doctor said it's difficult to find a lab that does it. I do know that vaginal yeast infections almost always start out as intestinal yeast (makes sense since the areas are so close to each other). When I was having my most severe yeast infections, I would have cramps, several soft bowel movements a day, be extremely tired and have "brain fog" Taking Diflucan was the only thing that helped because I needed a systemic approach. I went on a 3 month Diflucan regimen and that really helped to clear alot of the GI yeast up. You can take Florastor with Diflucan because Diflucan kills candida, not other types of yeast. I've read alot of research about yeast and found alot of literature about eating one cup of plain (not fruited) yogurt every day. Yeast infections were dramatically cut in women who did that. If you are lactose intolerant, like I am, I just use a good probiotic like PB 8, which also has it's own anti yeast supplement called Yeast Defense. You can definitely buy it on line but I'm able to get mine in the organic food section of my supermarket. The other thing I would recommend for anyone dealing with GI yeast is to trying to really cut down on your sugar and "bad" carbs (like white foods). It's tough to do at first, but you'll notice that your gut does feel lots better without those things - probably because your not feeding the candida yeast anymore. Hope this info helps. It takes time but your friend will get better.
Patti K

Return to “Free Form Discussion”