The wonders of the organic section of my Giant Food store

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
mugyver
New User

The wonders of the organic section of my Giant Food store

Postby mugyver » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:57 am

I went shopping the other day as I started to get sick of my diet and figured theres got to be something I can eat thats got a bit more flavor.

and there it is stairing me in the face.

THE ORGANIC SECTION. Nothing but organic foods (no antibiotics or steroid enhancements, no genetically altered foods or evil chemicals) and alternative products.

For example, thats where the Kefir was being held hostage as I've been looking for it for some time. While looking at the kefir, I realized I'm not lactose intolerant, but dairy sometimes doesn't agree with me. So I usually look for rice dream or some soy brand (I prefer rice dream cause its not as thick as most soy drinks, and I just like rice alot.) Anyway, I found something called Silk Live!. Its basically like kefir only soy based which could help out those of you that are either vegetarians, vegans, or just not good with dairy. Theres also a few other brands there to.

Then I realized I love cheese (well I didn't just realize it, but I got ideas) and there it was a cheese alternative, both white american and cheddar. Made with tofu. Maybe not the best tasting as compaired to cheese, but the cheddar kind actually melts (I thought it was funny cause it said "IT EVEN MELTS!" really big on the side)

But theres also goats milk/cheese etc.

Cream cheese is also substituted here by a tofu based brand called tofuti.

Then I decided I didn't want to continue eating kellogs special K cereal, don't get me wrong, I love the taste, but after 4 boxes in one week I was sick of it.

I found a brand called Puffin honey rice.

100% organic

wheat free

gluten free

No refined sugars

no artificial flavors or colors or preservatives

And it tastes great.

This stuff can be a bit more expensive than the usual brands, but it makes me feel better knowing that I have more choices that are close to my original tastes.

BTW I find that ground turkey is a great hamburger meat replacement.

I have been working with new ideas in the kitchen because I love food and was so afraid to lose my ability to cook for myself as well as family the way I used to.

But try this out its great, filling, cheap, quick, and easy top digest I think.

1/2lb ground turkey

1-2 packages of instant mashed potatoes (feel free to make your own, I usually do)

1 can sweet peas

salt, pepper

First, make the mashed potatoes. While making the mashed potatoes, cook the ground turkey in a frying pan on the stove. Whilethis is going on, empty the can of peas into a microwave safe container (do not drain peas), cover and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.

Once the potatoes are done, remove from heat. Once the turkey is done, add it to the potatoes and mix well. Once the peas are done, drain them and then add about 3/4 to the potatoes and turkey (usually the whole can is to much, but I don't like to waste them and I just pour them into my mouth as a snack later).

Mix everything well and add salt and pepper to taste. The make it creamier, you can add water or milk/milk alternative.

This stuff is awesome and fast and is even great cold, as a side, as a stuffing, or I've even thought of putting a crust under it and on top like some sort of turkey pot pie.

Another Idea is to swap the peas with actual stuffing.

Anyway, the organic section is great and offers many alternatives to dairy products and offers the safest/tastiest juices and teas and rice products.

So go for it, you'll be glad you did.

HA ok I'm done blabbering, but this is what night shift does to you.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:59 am

mugyver,
Thx. for the good ideas. I try to use antibiotic-free, steroid-free poultry & meats whenever possible. Just because it's organic, doesn't necessarily mean it will agree with you, however. or even that it is better for you although I believe organic food now has to meet higher standards than it did earlier.

You are doing something constructive, and reinforcing your love of cooking. Good for you.

I use soy milk in place of dairy sometimes because dairy seems to still bother me sometimes -- & sometimes it doesn't. Some can tolerate goat cheese (make sure it is "real" goat cheese & not just label "Greek" cheese.) Sometimes, it could be the fat in cheese -- some can't tolerate it with GI problems.

Most with C. diff. get sick of the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, & toast). I was on it for so long, I lost lots of weight. Later, I found what I ate didn't make that much difference as long as I ate "Everything in moderation; nothing to excess." I gained weight and energy.

Everyone is different, & has to experiment on his/her own. Many can't tolerate diary or extra sugar (one theory says sugar "feeds" the C. diff. bacteria).

Copied your post & recipes in FAQ-Nutrition. Thx.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”