Went to the dreaded Dentist

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Went to the dreaded Dentist

Postby HEATHER28 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

So I went to the Dentist on the 28th of Feb. and I had two wisdom teeth pulled. The dentist I went to is a different dentist then the one that I had last year that pulled my teeth and put me on the Clindamyican that gave me cdiff. I the new dentist my storie with antibiotics a few months ago and I told him then that I would ONLY take antibiotics if I had a infection and that if he ever felt that I needed them that I wanted him to consult with my Dr on what he should give me. Well when I went in to have my teeth pulled he and the nurse came in gave me the shots and then I heard him say to her "I want he on Percocet for pain and a antibiotic". I freaked out and a full on panic attack!! He asked me what was wrong and I said "do I have a infection?" and he said "no you dont I want you on antibiotics just IN CASE you get one." I am telling you, you guys I almost got up and left. I told him NO WAY, he tryed to talk me into it but, I said no if there is no infection I am not taking them! He said to me well I will tell you what I will give you the script it is up to you on weather or not you get it filled. My response was you are wasting good paper Doc because I am not going to fill it....lol. Regardless to say I thought it was funny but, he didnt!!

Oh yeah and guess what here we are days after he pulled my teeth and no infection and I couldnt feel better!!!
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:50 pm

Heather,
Think you missed the "silver bullet." Sometimes Penicillin (the basic form like Pen VK)will work on infections in the mouth. Don't know why any dentist would use Clindamycin unless an infection didn't respond to other antibiotics & infection was severe -- but many dentists seem to prescribe it.

Ask about an antibiotic rinse called Peridex. Little absorption. Does work for minor infections.

Think "giving antibiotics to prevent infection" is an old belief -- attitude not prevelant with newer docs. & dentists. My ENT said they give IV antibiotics before surgery because it is "standard medical procedure" -- seldom does little good.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”