Flu shot

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Flu shot

Postby nsewell » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:24 am

Have any of you gotten the flu shot after c-diff? Just wondering if its ok or stirs anything up. I go to the doctor today for sinus infection and thinking on getting the flu shot cause my brothers family has influenza A, and I dont need it!. But then maybe I shouldnt get it while im on an antibiotic either.

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:36 am

I've gotten one every year after cdiff...never any troubles.
But some docs won't administer one if you have certain types of active infection. That seems to be pretty variable between doctors. My PCP is kinda over the top and wouldn't give one to my son last fall when he had a head cold. Had to go back after that resolved.
See what doc says.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:41 pm

I've always gotten flu shots, except for the year that they were only available for people who really really needed them. I even got one the year after that, when I had to stand in line for an hour at a drugstore, because my primary care doc didn't have them. And that was while I was having endless D, during the time I was misdiagnosed for what turned out to be cdiff. They never seemed to affect my cdiff at all, but Allison is right, check with your doc.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:22 pm

I always get the flu shot.

If you are prone to pneumonia (I am) ask about the pneumovax shot-- protects against 23 (I think) strains of pneumonia -- plenty of other strains, however. The guidelines have now changed, & you need one every 5 to 7 yrs.; most docs. are now saying 5 yrs.

Many docs. will not give either of the above shots if you are ill.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”