Need Help

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Christina
Long Time Contributor

Need Help

Postby Christina » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:49 pm

Tomorrow afternoon my daughter has "volunteered" me to go to her class during health and speak to them about c-diff. They are a bunch of third grader's. I have no problem speaking about c-diff to an adult in scientific terms but to explain it to 8 year olds may be a challenge. I know if I even go near the word diarrhea all hell will break loose.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions which might help I would so appreciate it. I have until the morning to come up with something.
Thanks in advance.

Christina

supersmurf
Contributor

Postby supersmurf » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:34 pm

Hi Christina,
Sounds like an interesting time trying to explain c-diff to a bunch of 8 year olds. I've never taught any grades lower than grade five... but even then :-)
Perhaps if you were to explain to them that there are both good and bad bacteria in your body, kind of like the police and bad guys. Normally the good bacteria are like the police and keep the bad bacteria from getting into too much trouble. But when you take antibiotics it makes the good and bad bacteria very sick and tired, which is why they help you to get rid of infections. Sometimes though when you take antibiotics not all of the bad guys get sick and die and they get very strong again and take control over the police bacteria. The bad bacteria then get into all sorts of trouble and make a person very sick.
I'm not sure quite how you want to finish it, but somehow you need to add in there that we should only take antibiotics when we really need them, and if we do make sure that we eat things like yogurt when we take them.
Being 8, they will proably have all sorts of gory questions for you, I was always amazed at what my grade fives came up with... I guess to avoid the big "D" word, perhaps you could say that you had to go to the bathroom alot and that your stomach was very, very sore.
Don't know if this helps,
Cheers,
Sharon

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:11 pm

Christina,
Think Supersmurf's ideas ("good and bad guys" are great. )I agree about not using the word "diarrhea" for feat of a meltdown.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:08 am

Good luck today with your speech. I hope your feeling ok too. Call me sometime..

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:07 pm

Thanks guys. I'm going to try using Supersmurfs idea. It sound as though the kids should get it that way or at least most of it. I'll be on my way shortly. Wish me luck!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:15 pm

Christina,
How did it go? What a wonderful thing to do, to start educating children young about antibiotics and cdiff! Maybe that's what we all should do, come up with a program for schools. Then the hard part will be getting them to let us present it.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:31 pm

Thanks,Nancy. All went well and I think they all got it. Lots of questions were asked and answered. I was there about 40 minutes. I didn't really use the cop idea but explained good and bad bacteria and how antibiotics alter that. I stressed good hygiene and also eating yogurt while taking antibiotics as a preventative. We also talked about when an antibiotic is needed and when it is not. My daughter said I did a good job so I guess that's what matters most. But I could tell they understood by the questions they asked me. I would definately do it again if asked.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:52 am

Christina- YOU ARE TERRIFIC!!!!!!
Cindy

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:43 pm

Christina,
Good job!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”