To Christina

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Nancy1
Administrator

To Christina

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:54 pm

I just read your update and am so glad that you are still off of vanco. You've been off since October, yes? Hurray! I really hope that you have finally beaten the beast!! Is the J strain of cdiff the new nasty one that produces so much toxin? I hope that Reglan helps your nausea and the other difficult symptoms you've been having. Hugs!

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:04 am

Thanks Nancy. Friday will be ten weeks off. I'm waiting for #12. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed but I do feel like for now it is gone. I would be very surprised if anything happened based on the way I feel. Unfortunately, my stomach is now in rough shape but it sure beats c-diff.
The J strain is not the B1 which is the new virulent one. From what I read last night it caused outbreaks in the 80' and 90's. That is also the info Dale Gerding gave me.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:32 am

Christina,
Way to go. I think you are "almost there." I'll bet you have the same strain I had during the '90's -- not as lethal as the "new" form but still hard to eradicate.

Sorry you are having other problems. Acid reflux is miserable. I don't think I could function with taking a PPI but know it increases my chances of C. diff. I've been off the Zpak for three weeks now, but who is counting?

Again, a cautious (but optimistic) congrats.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:56 am

Thanks, Bobbie. I too am being very cautious. I know the deal to well.

Whatever the strain may be it is an extremely clever little bugger!

Unfortunately, I think we'll all be counting forever.

Keeping my fingers crossed still for you.

Christina

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:13 pm

Christina,
I just read your case history update. Lymphocytic colitis! I've never heard of it, but I learn new things here all the time. Good luck in dealing with it. I have a friend whose daughter has UC and takes prednisone; is this an option for you? After her doc told her she had to have her colon removed or she would die, she looked into other alternatives. She has been able to reduce her prednisone dosage and control her UC better with diet. And she still has her colon.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:30 am

Hi, Nancy. There were two steroids that were options but I can't remember the names. One was Asacort but I forget the other. For now, I'm going to try the Pepto but I'll have to take 8/day as 4 last month did not help. The only way I will need the steroid is if I can't control it w/Pepto or Immodium. Also,the anti depressant may help as well but it'll take another 4 weeks for it to kick in if it's going to do anything. There are no other treatments for it at this time.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:55 pm

Christina,
Sorry you still have problems, but glad you are over C. diff. -- "almost for sure."

I am not a doc. (or am I paid like one), but I'll bet this colitis is caused by the C. diff. & will eventually resolve. Try Imodium. It works far better than Pepto for me, but everyone is different.

If you are on a PPI, consume extra calcium as now PPI's have been linked to improper absorption of calcium & bone weakening. I've been on one for 4 yrs. & have osteoporosis already.

Nine weeks today since stopped the Zpak! Know you are still "counting down," too. Hang in there. You beat the Beast.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:34 am

Thanks Bobbie. I shall survive this, too.

Also, thanks for the info. on the PPI. I've been on it almost two weeks now. I'll start taking extra the calcium.

So glad you've eluded the beast thus far. Keep it up!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”