How Ironic

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Christina
Long Time Contributor

How Ironic

Postby Christina » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:39 pm

A few days ago I posted a link to an article in Newsweek magazine titled "Old Bugs Learn Some New Tricks". http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15994167/site/newsweek/
I briefly read it but couldn't get to the second page as I kept getting an error report so finally gave up. Today, I was at Starbucks waiting for my coffee and there was an issue of Newsweek and I remembered the article and read it while waiting. I got to the end and noticed a name and thought "wow" so I went back to the beginning of the article to see who it was written by. Oddly enough, it was written by Harvey B. Simon an infectious disease Dr. who eventually went to Primary Care. He was my primary care Dr. for years before I moved to Ohio and has also been the PCP to my Dad, Husband, Grandmother and also many other of my family members as well. Unfortunately, he has now retired to continue teaching at Harvard and to continue writing as he has written several books on staying well.
Since I have had c-diff he has been a great support to me as we have emailed several times and he always told me it would go at some point and if not new drugs would soon be coming out. All of his replies encouraged me to keep fighting.
The thing I really find interesting looking back he never, ever gave me an antibiotic. I can remember going to him with the worst of respiratory symptoms on several occasions and under no circumstance was he going to give me a script. He always told me it would go away and you know what? It always did.
I'm sitting here ready to send him an email thanking him for the wonderful article. Hopefully, it will help make the world aware.
I just felt like sharing this story w/ some of my good friends.
Thanks for always being there.
Christina

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:23 pm

A small world indeed Christina...and an interesting story.
Thanks for sharing it.

I don't think some of the older docs ever did like the idea of antibiotics...they already understood what it all meant for the future and had respect for them enough to use judiciously.
At the age of twelve, I remember old Dr. Rose, our family doc, becoming stern and lecturing my mother and I about how critical it was to take some meds he was about to prescribe for me exactly as he said to, and to never, ever, under any circumstances, stop taking it until it was gone. At the time I didn't understand what the big deal was.

Years later I found out from my mom he had prescribed 'sumyacin", an older tetracycline. It was for tonsilitis and it was the first time I ever took an antibiotic.

Times (and docs) sure have changed. (and so has bacteria). *sigh*

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:53 am

Christina,
Thanks for sharing. "The best medicine is no medicine." I used to have a lot of faith in docs., but throughout the years, it's been shaken many times.

Many years ago people died of pneumonia. After the discovery of penicillin, things went the other direction. Since I've had pneunonia 4X, guess I'd be dead without antibiotics -- on the other hand, I wouldn't have had C. diff.

My sons' first ped. was supposed to be the best in Omaha, but he prescribed antibiotics often for both my sons. He believed they "prevented" secondary infections. When I asked him not to prescribe amoxicillin for my younger son because I had "a feeling about it," he did so anyway. Since he had both an ear infection and bronchitis (and was ill a lot anyway), I "caved"-- to my eternal regret as my son developed C. diff. When I carried him into his office- he was four but couldn't walk as he was so ill-- the ped. said, "Let's give him a couple of days." No way. I called the ped. GI at the Med. Center who admitted my son to the hospital. He was in a coma for three days before responding to Vanco. The ped. withdrew and never came to the hospital. I had one H ... of a time finding another ped.

I lost a premature baby through a misdiagnosis, and another doc. almost killed my mother with a medication I asked him not to prescribe. On the other hand, I've had some wonderful experience with docs. who saved both my son's and my lives. I wish they were perfect -- and not just human.

Oh, for the perfect doc. who knows all. For those of you who are older, remember, "Dr. Marcus Welby, MD.?" I want HIM for my doc. Doggone, where is he when you need him?

Return to “Free Form Discussion”