My results

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
jj1949
New User

My results

Postby jj1949 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:31 am

Maybe some of you pro's can enlighten my thinking process this morning. I went through my colonoscopy yesterday, don't remember a thing but wasn't able to talk with the doctor after the procedure, he was late for a supper date. He did make comments on my discharge papers stating that appearance showed past but no current inflammatory changes. He did do a biopsy but I'm unsure of what they are looking for in doing that. Just wondering how could I have these symptoms and no problems are found. I am grateful there wasn't a serious problem found but my questions still aren't answered. I have researched IBS but is this just a name they attach when they can't find anything else wrong? I have another appt with him on the 7th, need to start rewriting my questionaire. I guess everything is OK although the diahrea continues. Hope all is well with everyone and God bless. Jane

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:18 pm

Hi Jane,

The biopsy sample can tell many things. The pathologist will perform various tests on the tissue that may shed light on the exact type of inflammation, and the probable source of it. That is what they're shooting for...more information. It should also be tested for cdiff toxins, as that is the most likely possibility in your case.

With cdiff, It's pretty common to have a normal looking colon yet still exhibit symptoms because the disease causes a RANGE of colitis...not everyone will have the classic psuedomembranes that tells doc "classic cdiff infection" without needing a biopsy.

If the biopsy shows inflammatory cells from ANY probable cause, you should not receive an IBS diagnosis. If all is fine with the biopsy...no inflammation, cdiff test negative, then you may hear IBS.
If that is the case, doc should also suspect a false negative cdiff test in the wake of ongoing symptoms.

It's really good nothing was found visually, but doc needs the pathology report before he can give you further information.
Last edited by Allison on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jj1949
New User

Postby jj1949 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Thank you Allison for your information regarding this issue. I must admit I'm a bit confused but you did manage to help me dismiss some of what I'm concerned about. Because of the length of time I experienced this diahrea associated with c.diff it was just a shock that things appeared normal in the scope. I appreciate your feed back as always and I will wait to see what the pathology report states. Will keep in touch. Jane

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:34 pm

"Because of the length of time I experienced this diahrea associated with c.diff it was just a shock that things appeared normal in the scope."

I know it seems weird. This does happen quite frequently, though.
Docs are doubtful too. That's why they need to rule out everything else.
Those MD's who haven't seen relapsing cdiff before don't usually have a high index of suspicion that it can be cdiff, and cdiff only, that's causing ongoing symptoms.
For the best shot at accurate results, it's imperative you be off all cdiff meds (at least 10 days) at the time of the scope, and I sure hope the sample is being tested for cdiff toxins. Sometimes folks who keep getting negative results via stool testing, will finally yield a positive cdiff test taken from tissue at colonoscopy.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”