The Spoon Theory/insight into living with a chronic illness

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Allison
Administrator

The Spoon Theory/insight into living with a chronic illness

Postby Allison » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:25 pm

This is a story I like about trying to explain what it feels like to have a chronic illness.
The author of the story has Lupus, but It's really a wonderful way to help others understand what it's like to have any illness or condition that forces us to make choices that others take for granted...why you're not the same person you were, why you can't just...whatever.
For those of you who are frustrated by others' inability to "get it" about relapsing cdiff, ask them to read this for some insight.

THE SPOON THEORY
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/2004/ ... theory.php

Woman51960
Contributor

SPOON STORY

Postby Woman51960 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:05 am

I loved the spoon theory. Since suffering from cdiff for over a year now I feel like I have very little spoons each day. I am sure my friends, family and others wonder what I must feel like too. Somedays I really think they don't understand why I can just be the person I use to be. In reality, I feel like they think "just get over it". I am going to use this analogy of the "spoons" from now on to further explain my illness.

I just hope someday that I return to be "SPOON FREE" again. Cdiff has used up most of my spoons everyday for over a year. Great story, thanks for sharing it.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:59 pm

Great analogy. Posted in FAQ-Coping With C. diff. & Emotional Effects of C. diff.. Thx., Allison.

Knitter
Regular Contributor

Postby Knitter » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:51 pm

Now that I enjoyed. Thanks for giving me something to share with others so they understand me better.
Vancocin 250 mg. 4 X daily, Bio-K+, 4 acidophilis pills. IBS, Type II Diabetes, A-typical Menieres. C. Diff. 6X/11 months til May/2006; recurred Sept. 26, 2010.
Take care, stay safe and be happy!
Knitter

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:14 pm

Knitter,
It's great to hear from you. I've missed you. How are you doing? I hope all is well.

Knitter
Regular Contributor

Postby Knitter » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:41 pm

Hi Nancy:

I'm doing ok-ish. This weather is hard on Menieres patients. I passed out the a couple of weeks ago while trying to get to my bed. I badly bruised my knee, my elbow, I had two goose eggs on my forehead and I broke a rib. I'm starting to heal now and doing the Christmas knitting. My "accident" made me very behind schedule so I am rushing to try and catch up now.

On the positive front though I seem to have gotten rid of the C. Diff. (I think, I hope, I pray, although each time I get the Big D. from the IBS it scares me silly still).

I have been very busy with a friend who lost her roommate to cancer at the end of July. She has been quite depressed, so I have been doing a suicide watch for about four months now. It has been very tiring and my cell phone bill is incredibly large, but I think we are over the worst of it now. She is busy trying to make Christmas for her family now, so she is keeping herself occupied. Now it's my turn to plan Christmas.

Nothing else new here. I'm sorry I haven't been around to support new people as well as long time sufferers here. I feel guilty about that, but I had no choice.

Anyways, nice to hear from you as well. Take care and keep up the fight!
Vancocin 250 mg. 4 X daily, Bio-K+, 4 acidophilis pills. IBS, Type II Diabetes, A-typical Menieres. C. Diff. 6X/11 months til May/2006; recurred Sept. 26, 2010.
Take care, stay safe and be happy!
Knitter

Return to “Free Form Discussion”