can fiber cause the D

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
nsewell
Long Time Contributor

can fiber cause the D

Postby nsewell » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:16 pm

I am confused. For a month now I have felt kinda like I have c-diff again. Of course my nurse thinks im nuts. I have been off the meds for 4 1/2 months, but I get pain for time to time. It used to go away after the 3 days but anymore it would rather stay with me. It's not severe like before but its there. The nurse says to increase my fiber and it should take care of the pain. So I have a bit. More brocolli and that sorts. Now I get bad cramps and have to run to the bathroom. The cramps feel like I dont know if I should put my head in the toilet or sit on it?? I would really appreciate your opinions.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:45 pm

Fiber and roughage will give you pain usually caused by gas. It will also give you loose stools and frequent trips to the BR. I am now on a high fiber/roughage diet as well and at the beginning it was a problem. It always best to introduce these "new" foods gradually as well as gradually increasing your fiber intake.This will help with the symptoms but once your body adjusts they should subside.
Obviously, if they continue despite slowing things down a call to the Dr. may be in order.

Lana
Contributor

Postby Lana » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:48 pm

I've read on this site than many who have recovered my c-diff are left with a bit of IBS. I read the book, Eating for IBS, and my mother has ulcerative colitis, and I know from both of those sources that high fiber foods (with insoluble fiber) cause pain and D. On the other hand, soluble fiber, found in starchy foods, is supposed to be helpful.

The pain you describe sounds pretty bad, though. I would talk to a doctor.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:46 pm

Nsewell- Fiber has been a real issue for me and eating veggies have really been hard on me. I eat too much of any vegetable other than potatoes and look out the next day UNTIL NOW.........I just ordered florajen3 and started taking it and it has almost made me be constipated but actually just going like a normal person! I have also been eating veggies and still things are fine. I have tried all the probiotics and reuteri made me feel better but did nothing to help with frequency or being able to eat vegetables. This probiotic is actually working on me! THANK GOD after 5 years to find SOMETHING!
Cindy

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:20 am

nsewell, I have avoided most anything green except green beans, which don't seem to bother me, because of excessive gas and pain. I've eaten a little bit of broccoli a couple times but only a little. Lettuce seems to be the worst for me. My doc told me I could take GasX or similar (simethicone) but it only works if the gas is in the stomach and not intestines so hasn't been much help.

Thought this might be something to think about and maybe ask your doctor what he/she thinks - my GI doc has me on Citrucel, one glass a day, for fiber and I've done good on that without any side effects. The Metamucil causes alot of gas for many people (and did me) so he doesn't recommend that one. He explained that the Citrucel helps both d. and constipation - it absorbs water so helps things move along if one is constipated and absorbs some of the excess moisture if one has d.

Between that, the FloraQ and Questran, my d. has been reduced to only very soft stools - and that's a big plus!

~Sheila

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:00 am

Thanks for all the replies!! I talked to my sister yesterday cause she works at the Gi department and she said the same things as you all did. I was just worried cause one day I went 5 times and now yesterday only 1. I would try the Floragen but I am already on Lotronex which firms up my stool enough, cause I battle with hemmrroids from all this too. I am gonna go to the health food store today to get more probiotics.
Thanks guys!!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”