My Vacation from the devils den!

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
cindym
Long Time Contributor

My Vacation from the devils den!

Postby cindym » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:04 pm

As most of you probably read I went to the beach for the week (even with my bum foot with all my kids and grandsons. I was doing okay for the first day and enjoying the grandsons totally! The second day I developed a rash on the tops of both feet and going up one leg and BOTH feet were swelling at an alarming rate. I thought perhaps it was something I had gotten in to and that the swelling in the (normal) foot was from walking too much. Well on the 3rd day when I woke up I could not hardly walk and my feet looked liked blocks of red whelps. Went to ER and they started in with antibiotics etc.......totally disregarding my explanation as to why I could NOT take them without definite infection. Well needless to say that ER visit was cut short and we made a flying 4 hour trip in 2.5 hours to get home to my doctor. Come to find out it is my blood pressure medicine and classic edema.......have to take lasix (40 mg) and use special creme for my rash. Doctor assured me that the other foot still has a problem outside the edema (even though they look like twins currently) and still thinks the bone scan next Wednesday is warranted. GOD I NEED A BREAK.........But the whole time at beach my stomach never bothered me but not being able to walk without pain made things a bit miserable. Definitely a vacation I will not soon forget. One cute thing is my grandsons wanted to forego their trip to Family Kingdom (located on the strand which is lots of fun with lots of rides) to help me and keep ice in my ice pack........I refused the offer and begged them to go ahead and have a good time but promise to have Mom and Dad bring me some good pictures back. They went bless the little guy's hearts and the youngest left with tears streaming down his little face (6 years old) saying they felt sorry for me. Without those little guys I think I would have ran into the ocean (hobbling of course) calling for Jaws to come and get me! Ha!
Life goes on and only God knows where it goes from here........I quit guessing!
Cindy

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:16 pm

Cindy,
Sorry your trip was such a "bummer." I know you were looking forward to it so much. What a disappointment!

Hang in there! Surely, things will get better! One of your many docs. needs to come up with a solution to your swollen foot. Where are these miracle workers? Is anyone else old enough to remember Marcus Welby, MD? (TV show.) We need Marcus back! He was kind, caring, & knew everything. Well, only on TV, I guess.

Lauren
Administrator

Postby Lauren » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:40 pm

What great grandkids! Clearly, they think the world of you too.

It's a shame you had to go home.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:07 pm

Cindy,
That's lousy! Did you change your blood pressure med? The side effects are too much! I really hope you are feeling better soon. And I hope the bone scan gives some useful info.

Your grandsons sound like dolls. What sweethearts! They have a wonderful grandma as an example.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:47 pm

Nancy- Yes they had changed my bp med about 1.5 months ago and gave me samples. They changed it due to the ace inhibitor (lisinopril) causing me to cough my head off. They changed it to cardizemLA and I was doing great on it but my stupid insurance company wants me to take generic (diltiazemXR) and made it financially seem like a wise idea. Well after 3 weeks this happens. GEEZ..........he does not want to change the bp med since it is controlling the pressure really well but says that this kind sometimes will require lasix to be taken by some people to keep from retaining fluids. The lasix is making me feel HORRIBLE but is taking the fluid off fast. I am calling the office tomorrow (of course he was leaving to go out of town) and ask if I should change dosage or what cause I can not continue to feel like this. I am thinking of cancelling the bone scan until I get the swelling under control and feel better. Will let you know.
Cindy

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:13 am

Cindy,
I'm sorry your trip was cut short. Boy one thing after another. Hopefully this will get straightend out and then the other foot will finally be diagnosed and things will get better. HOpe your better soon.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:01 pm

Diane- They discontinued the lasix immediately as it had totally dehydrated me........geez did it! We are now on a watch and wait plan to see if it comes back. He is hoping that it was a combination of HEAT (which was miserable) and the fact that I had done very little intense walking since February due to my fat foot and at the beach I totally was in overkill cycle in the walking department. I went to ortho today and he is watching it closely (to collect his $) and the neuro has ordered the bone scan for next Wednesday giving me time to get back to normal from this med that ripped me a new one!
Cindy

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:02 am

Well I hope they finally figure things out!!!! I am very hopeful for you. HOw are you feeling other wise? Where are you at with the c diff? email me when you have time

Return to “Free Form Discussion”