Gut Infections + Eye Symptoms

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Gut Infections + Eye Symptoms

Postby GtrGrl » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:50 am

Sharing this in case anyone comes on here with eye/visual symptoms and finds it useful info.

Around the time of my first relapse, I kept getting conjunctivitis. I thought it must be due to some kind of bacteria on my makeup brushes so I replaced them but still it came back. I was baffled. Not anymore: I have now discovered that gut (and urogenital) infections can cause reactive arthritis, the inflammation from which can affect the eyes — and trigger conjunctivitis. Not a single medic put two and two together despite this being a well-established link, and I wish I had known about it at the time as it was another sure sign - evidence, one might say - that all was not well with my gut.
Always learning!
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Re: Gut Infections + Eye Symptoms

Postby BetsyS » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:25 am

Thanks GrtGrl- I've recently learned the same. I have episodes of inflammatory arthritis in conjunction with CDiff and flare ups. My ID told me I probably have reactive arthritis, which is why I'm now seeing a Rheumatologist. She said besides conjunctivitis, another eye infection associated is Iritis, inflammation of the iris. Lol, I was just getting over a bout of it at my first appt with her.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Re: Gut Infections + Eye Symptoms

Postby GtrGrl » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:54 am

Hi Betsy, I have had burning in my eyes for many years now, started well before the C Diff, after EBV infection. No one can see anything wrong but I swear there’s inflammation at the cellular level. I have to just close them sometimes because they hurt so much and I can’t read at night anymore. I read about it and EBV can cause these kinds of issues too. Your rheumatologist sounds knowledgeable, I’d like to talk to someone like that. I hope you’re pain free at the mo!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”