Dealing with BV

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Dealing with BV

Postby GtrGrl » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:51 am

After 14 MONTHS of gaslighting and being dismissed whilst in extreme discomfort, I have finally had a positive swab result for a gynaelogical bacterial infection. This is validating but also terrible news as standard treatment is metronidazole or clindamycin. After my successful FMT I swore I would never touch antibiotics again unless it was something equally life threatening as C Diff itself but this is making me feel systemically ill and causing pelvic and groin pain, kidney pain, bladder and gut issues, as well as neurological symptoms (brain fog, fatigue etc). I personally think it has spread from the original location but the docs simply won’t have that, despite plenty of research papers on the subject.

I’ve read through some old threads and am really scared by how many people said they wouldn’t even touch the localised gel. If I am right and it HAS spread into the pelvis, then I might have to take oral antibiotics and honestly, I don't know how to face that all over again. Has anyone else who’s still on the boards had to deal with this and come through it without relapsing? I want to know what bacteria was isolated but suspect that info won’t be provided by the lab even if I ask. They’ll just say it’s a positive or negative result. I still have some Dificid in my medicine cupboard, I thought maybe I could take that at same time . . .

I asked a doc the other day about immunotherapy, due to the number of infections I get, but it's a no-go as my blood doesn't show an abnormality in this particular area.
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dealing with BV

Postby NanciT » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:40 pm

Hi

Sorry you are going through this, BV can be really tough to deal with. I started with my diagnosis 3 years ago. I tried the Metro Gel and unfortunately it came back. I then tried Boric acid suppositories that were an RX from a compounded pharmacy. That seem to work a few months and it was back again.
The oral medication generally used to threat this is Flagyl. I am unable to take it, makes me very sick bit since it was USED for CDIFF, I don't see why it would be of concern. Metro Gel is actually Flagyl in vaginal gel form.

My issue became when I tried the metro gel for the 4th time and developed a UTI. Well.........that was it. I ended up in the ER was given IV antibiotics really without my knowledge ( middle of Covid) and getting any treatment was VERY marginal. I ended up with CDIFF.

I would not be afraid of the Metro Gel or the Flagyl. In fact, if I could I would have taken the Falgyl orally if i could have.

Wishing you the best with this

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:15 am

I had BV some years after c diff and my GYN had a compounding pharmacy make me up some cream to use with probiotics and it actually worked! I think it was acidophillus, but I am not 100% sure.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:27 am

Nanci is right , Flagyl is the first choice of treatment for what u are dealing with , best if it's used topical in cream form or ovules .However ,in Romania , we have a new treatments like Tergynan flora ovules ( a combination of temidazole+neomycin+a antifungal and prednisone ) works great and minor risk of getting the Cdiff back. Worth asking your doc about it .

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:39 pm

Thanks for your replies, ladies. My GP only seems to know the basics so trying to get anything extra like you’ve described, Georgina and Beth, will be no go. I’m thinking of consulting a functional doctor. I’d also like to try hiprex for the bladder issues but GP says she can’t prescribe. Meanwhile pelvic pains are increasing and argh, the discomfort!

Sorry that happened to you, NanciT. Ending up in hospital is nightmarish vision, our whole health system (UK) is collapsing, hospitals overrun with Covid patients and new variants on the rise. Scary times we live in, didn’t need this damned infection on top of it.

I think I’ll have to start with the gel :/ I just daren’t take the oral metro.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:30 pm

I did not realise you were in the UK
You can buy BV treatment from a chemist without seeing your GP
For options go to.
https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/bact ... tment.html

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:46 pm

Thanks Roy. GP has already done me a prescription but my fear is if it has spread into the pelvis, which pain suggests it has, I’ll have to take oral option instead of localised gel and am genuinely terrified. Also, it might not even be the right antibiotic as we don’t know the pathogen! I’ve wondered if, given my history, I might get IV, if that would be slightly less risky (although not that much less, as NanciT’s experience shows).

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:43 pm

BV is generally treated with Flagyl here in the US. Either Oral or Metro Gel. All the same medication.

I would not worry about taking this medication.

It is important to treat.

Feel better soon

NanciT

Return to “Free Form Discussion”