Positive GDH & toxins no symptoms

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
cmca25
Brand New Poster

Positive GDH & toxins no symptoms

Postby cmca25 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:25 pm

Hi I’m a 35 year old female. I started my cdiff journey in may. I was originally treated with 7 days of Flagyl, but they changed me to 7 days of vanco when it wasn’t doing anything. I was good for a a month and it came back horrible. They put me on a 6 week vanco taper followed by Dificid for 10 days. I’m not 14 weeks out, have some Ibs symptoms. A little stomach discomfort occasionally, and some foul gas every now and then. 2 weeks ago I must have had a stomach bug because it resolved after a few days, but I had got retested because it made me nervous. I had 6 BMs on that sunday, all were solid but I had cramping and some nausea and just didn’t feel good. The next day BMs decreased, still felt off for a few days after. My BMs returned to normal after that. However, my tests came back positive. Positive GDH, PCR and toxins. My pcp says to treat with Dificid. My GI says no because I’m not having diarrhea, and my infectious disease dr said it’s impossible to test positive unless you have it, and that I must have cleared it out naturally. I have no clue at what to do. I don’t know if I’m contagious, I don’t know if I should get a second opinion. I understand you can be colonized, but I thought you don’t test positive for toxins. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

roy
Administrator

Re: Positive GDH & toxins no symptoms

Postby roy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:06 pm

Probably resolved without treatment.
Or your immune to the effect of the toxin!
Perfect result either way.
When they perfect a vaccine it will not stop you catching C. Diff.
It will stop your body reacting to the toxin in exactly the same way that the tetanus vaccine does.
The reason a vaccine is possible is that many people develop immunity naturally.
Tetanus is Clostridium tetani, C.Diffs big cousin!
Listen to your GI, it sounds like he knows C. Diff well and is giving you great advice.

cmca25
Brand New Poster

Postby cmca25 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:16 pm

Thank you very much. That was very comforting to hear. Should I still be bleaching the shower when I’m done after use or the toilet? I have two little kids (we don’t share a bathroom, but my husband uses mine) and I’d hate to give this to anyone. I feel like I’m a walking germ

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:22 pm

No harm in taking precautions for a while.
BUT have you considered it could even be one of them that brought C.Diff home:-)
Use common sense and you won't spread it.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”