Candida?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Candida?

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:31 pm

I can relate to what you are saying. Just keep being proactive if you are still feeling this way. There has to be a reason and it might be completely unrelated to c difficile.

Jodiekee
Regular User

Postby Jodiekee » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:00 am

This is very interesting to me. I have almost the same exact symptoms you do. The itching in the chest (which is horrible and very scary) I attributed to the flagyl because I also broke out in hives. Could it be the c diff toxins? Please keep us updated.
Last week I was tested for everything under the sun and everything is normal except positive for c diff.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:02 am

Pancreas problems usually cause D not C. But, there is a SIBO that is methane predominant that causes C. You would need a breath test to determine that. There are some drugs that treat that kind of thing that are not antibiotics. My doctor mentioned Motegrity to me. There is also Linzess. But unless you have chronic D, they are not given. Have you tried any fiber supplements? Benefiber has helped some people.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:45 am

Things are now going the other way. From a few weeks of C, I went 5 times yesterday and it was the same type as before, when the C Diff wasn’t fully treated and I kept relapsing. If it’s coming back I sort of wish it would just do so, so I can get the right treatment and not be in this no man’s land.

The pain around pancreas and radiating into back has been dreadful these past few days and I have elevated liver enzymes again but only slightly, so it’s not considered significant. I had acid reflux in the night so badly I couldn’t lie down and I feel really nauseous.

I was having loads of fibre before coming into hospital but it didn’t help with the C. Am having jacket potatoes and various vegetables but the food in hosp isn’t the most nutritious. Would fibre supplements bulk out the stool? I fear the candida overgrowth has knocked my already delicate balance of flora out whilst the FMT was still grafting, and is allowing other nasties to grow too. I do need that SIBO test! Good to know it’s not only treated with antibiotics Beth, thank you.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:47 am

Update: they won’t do the SIBO test as they say it’s unreliable. They will give me rifixamin if I want to try it (and some studies have shown it has effect on C Diff) but I don’t want to take another antibiotic without solid grounds.

Doing one more C Diff toxin test then if negative they suggest trying amitriptyline.

Kidney still hurting. Stools not good. Dizzy. Sick. Itching. Abdo pain. 30 lbs underweight. Deflated.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:57 pm

I don't know if there are different tests for SIBO, but my understanding is that the newer ones are reliable. If they won't do it, then you don't have a choice. I would not take Xifaxan unless you know what you are treating. If it is not SIBO or e coli, it won't help much else, although it has been given as a chaser to vanco for c difficile, but not usually as the primary treatment. I never had pancreatic issues before c difficile.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:11 pm

Xifaxan is effective on less than half of the c. Diff varients.
It's not effective against the nasty ones.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:52 pm

That’s something I’ve been wondering about, Roy: is it possible, or even worth, trying to find out which strain I have/had? Could it help explain why I relapsed so often? With the SIBO antibiotic, I just meant perhaps it wouldn’t be as likely to cause relapse, rather than thinking of it as a C Diff treatment in itself. But right now I don’t know if I even have either of those things.

Thanks for the extra test info, Beth. I’m worried they have missed something with my pancreas or gall bladder too. They said it would have shown on the CT scan but that’s where so much of the pain is and it radiates under my right shoulder blade. It’s hard to accept when there’s nothing to be found!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:57 am

The EUS is what I had to have. That is what can see the pancreas the best, but I had elevated enzymes for a long time before they did that.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:33 am

My calprotectin is 260! I have never had this test before. My C Diff test was -ve and capsule endoscopy said no sign of IBD. I’m puzzled.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:51 am

I am closing this thread now as getting long
If you need support about C. Diff feel free to start another thread.

PS
Pain radiating into your shoulder is another symptom of liver problems.
I can't understand why the hospital is not concerned about that.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”