Pistachios

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Pistachios

Postby BetsyS » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:21 pm

I've got an odd question. I am a year out from CDiff (hurray!), but seldom have solid stools due to removal of part of my small intestine. I had IBS prior to CDiff,so it is also a factor.My food journey has been interesting, but I'm able to eat most things again.

I've been struggling with snacks. I can't really handle fat, so chips etc are out. I dearly love popcorn, peanuts and almonds, but they cause misery for me. A friend gave me a bag of pistachios, and I couldn't resist. Surprisingly, no issues. I've been eating them about a month now, and have noticed more frequent solid stools in correlation. Like anything yummy, there are problems with too much of a good thing, but in moderation they seem to help.

Coincidence? I'm not finding much on the internet to suggest they would help my situation. I thought maybe it was the extra fiber, but fiber supplements have not helped me in the past. I know there are posters in this forum a lot more familiar with the nutritional and healthy benefits of different foods. Has anyone heard of benefits like this in pistachios?

Spike
Contributor

Re: Pistachios

Postby Spike » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:25 pm

Yep, they help me out too. I found a correlation as well. Better stool quality. They arent like wow this fixed me type of thing but they do help! I still have many food I cant tolerate as well a year out. It is so frustrating. Tomato anything, beans, fatty steaks, heavy surgar items such as sugar cookies, pop. If I don't take my little bit of florastor a day (1/8 of a baby packet) the next day is horrible. I was hoping I be better off a year out with foods. So I get finding little things that help.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: Pistachios

Postby Ali-Mar » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:49 pm

I have been fasting for two days now and seen a drastic change in my GI. A coincidence? Maybe too really to celebrate, but I think it is worth trying. I drink water and take my vitamins but dont eat food for most of the day. I have breakfast a round 7:00 am and fast for about 12 hours until 7:00 PM. Will try to fast for longer tomorrow

https://youtu.be/vhmtoAYVRSo
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Return to “Free Form Discussion”