Antidepressants/ anti anxiety medication

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Zapper
Regular Contributor

Antidepressants/ anti anxiety medication

Postby Zapper » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:19 pm

Hi all,
It’s been 5 years in May since my cdiff was cleared. I recently had a baby and had some gastric issues that I think triggered by PTSD from cdiff. Unfortunately, I’m 4 weeks postpartum and having anxiety and I think postpartum depression. It really creeped up on me this week and I know I need to get help.
I’m having anxiety attacks out of nowhere throughout the day, feelings of needing to cry come afterward. I am obsessing about every bowel movement and every time it’s a little soft convinced I’m getting sick with cdiff again, then I have no appetite and can’t eat. I’ve lost 35lbs in 4 weeks (all my pregnancy weight).
I take 30-45 min daily walks with my baby and get out in the sunshine often. I eat well when I do (salads, chicken fish, no sugars). I have no issues taking care of both my kids and loving them. It’s just me... and my obsessive compulsive behavior when it comes to cdiff and thinking my world is ending all over again.

My 6 week postpartum appt is in 1.5 weeks and I plan to talk to my doctor about getting help. But I needed to know what anti anxiety meds are less offenders to cause me issues with cdiff down the road. I’ve seen people talk about it here as there are some known offenders but nothing is 100%.

Thanks for the help guys. I can’t wait to start to feel better again.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: Antidepressants/ anti anxiety medication

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:41 pm

Zapper great questions, I will like to follow this post, my dr has prescribed Wellbutrin 150 mg to me last month but I haven't taken it yet.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed May 26, 2021 12:19 pm

Ali, have you tried the Wellbutrin? Please provide an update! I was just prescribed the same thing 150mg dose once a day.

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Wed May 26, 2021 8:49 pm

My cdiff experience hit me hard mentally. I had issues with anxiety and ocd prior to cdiff. My doctor prescribed klonopin for major anxiety post cdiff. I was very reluctant to use meds but they really helped me. This med is really just intended for short term use. Long term I have been prescribed fluvoxamine which is a SSRI antidepressant. My DR said there has been some medical studies showing an increased risk of cdiff with the antidepressants Mirtazapine and Prozac but not nearly to the extent as offending antibiotics. Hope you feel better.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat May 29, 2021 12:03 pm

Zapper, no I haven't yet. My Dr. keeps telling me to try it. I think I have to try it at some point buz the depression is taking a big toll on me. I'm too scared to try it
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon May 31, 2021 12:51 pm

Is anyone else’s anxiety severe enough that it manifests as a fear response: palpitations, shaking, stomach ‘dropping’, legs turning to water? The thought of a relapse does this to me instantly. I’m taking citalopram and it’s ‘taken the edge off’ but nowhere near resolving the issue.

Edit: doesn’t help that these have also been symptoms of infection for me.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:39 pm

We are all terrified of c diff. Best to get emotional advice from a professional counselor or doctor.

No problem with group support but we are not medical professionals and do not know all the side effects of psychiatric meds.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:01 am

Well I started the Wellbutrin and 2 weeks in and seeing major mucus in my stool but no diarrhea. It’s a lot of mucus which is triggering my cdiff fear.
Has anyone else had this symptom with an antidepressant?

Ygy
Regular User

Postby Ygy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:15 pm

I’m so sorry to hear this- my heart goes out to you. I got my first cdiff infection with my 1st pregnancy at the age of 26 while working as an RN. And my 2nd & 3rd infection I got during pregnancy and then postpartum after my 3rd baby was born 3 years ago. Been healthy ever since thankfully.

Only Remeron and Prozac have ever been linked to an increased risk of cdiff. I’ve looked this up before and a quick search on Google confirmed it.

If you are not taking either of those two antidepressants don’t worry about. I’ve taken Elavil for years with no problems. Taking meds for anxiety/OCD has changed my life for the better. It’s made me a better mother and just happier and less fearful overall. I don’t think any of use ever completely lose the fear of cdiff especially if we’ve gotten it more than once. So be gentle with yourself.

Have you ever been evaluated for OCD? After my first cdiff infection I developed severe germaphobia which hadn’t been present prior. Another aspect of OCD is reassurance seeking which seems to be what you’re doing.

Of course take my words with a grain of salt. I’m an RN ( no longer practicing) but not a psychologist/psychiatrist. However the treatment of OCD can be pretty different then for depression/ anxiety which you may also suffer from. I would research CBT and ERP therapy. Normal talk therapy can also be helpful but certain learned strategies for OCD were the most helpful for me in conquering my germaphobia. If you use Instagram there are many therapists on there who specialize in OCD and germ related fears. The offer free resources/podcasts etc.

Prayers and positive thoughts for you

Red1234
Brand New Poster

Postby Red1234 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:35 am

Thank you for sharing your hard story. I am having terrible anxiety/OCD and fear of touching things that may have cdiff. I am reading through the posts but would like to definitely ask my doctor for a certain OCD medication that will not irritate anything with digestion, etc. Although I no longer have D after Vanco, I have 1x a day big and mostly mushy BM (my doctor does not seem concerned since it is 1x a day BM - but I keep losing weight). And I have anxiety about what to eat and what not to eat, so I am under-eating by default. I am really struggling. Thank you for any help.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:56 pm

I had 7 days of watery day 2- 7 bowels per day. I had to through in the towel on Sunday and fly back for testing. Now i am back and have the test kit but I haven't had one bowel movement for two days now ( yesterday and today). This does not make any sense. I was sure it was C Diff, I still have the body aches. It is not COVID, because I had to test for COVID 3 times in last 7 days, once going to Canada , once going to Rugby and once coming back to USA. I wonder if I should test now?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:41 am

Not if symptoms have resolved!
C. Diff is the same as any gut bug.
It can be self limiting and resolves without treatment but you still test positive.
No D means no colitis.
Treat the patient not the test.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:04 pm

sorry I posted in the wrong discussion here

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:18 am

Here is my update.

I reached a point in postpartum that I needed an intensive outpatient treatment for PPD. Turns out I have been dx with PPD, PPA, PTSD and OCD. I’m on Wellbutrin and Xanax. I completed my program and doing better now but my psychiatrist is adding another SSRI for the depression.
The mucus/GI upset lasted 5/6 weeks after starting meds and got better (for anyone else with issues).

Thanks for all the help. So sad that my cdif PTSD resurfaced postpartum and rocked my world. Getting better and still cdiff free.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:27 am

Thanks for the update and I'm glad that you are doing better and that you don't have c diff. Hopefully, you will continue to improve and not need all the meds at some point in the future.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”