Upcoming Colonoscopy

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Elvish2
Contributor

Upcoming Colonoscopy

Postby Elvish2 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:52 pm

(Not quite sure which forum to post this in!)

I'm scheduled to have a colonoscopy in about 3 weeks, at which point I'll be 5.5 months post-Dificid. I've been doing okay overall and have had a negative antigen/toxin test, but I've also been experiencing some probable IBS-type symptoms. Given my history of IBS-type symptoms over the years (most concerning being M with B) and some family history, my GI wants to rule out UC and other similar things. I have anxiety over the possibility of relapse or other bad side effects (not to mention the results), but also know I honestly probably should have had a colonoscopy years ago rather than just being brushed off for being "too young" to have problems (I'm in my early 30s).

I know that the lead-up, prep, and aftermath of a colonoscopy can be rough physically, and am worried about the effect on my mental health (I have diagnosed PTSD relating to medical issues). I do have a therapist who recommended asking my GI if I can take Xanax beforehand and making sure to discuss any questions I have with the GI beforehand.

So does anyone have advice or experience about dealing with the colonoscopy prep/aftermath? There seems to be so much differing opinions about how a colonoscopy can affect gut flora, etc etc - it's all pretty overwhelming! And as is probably common among people here, I've lost a lot of faith in the ability to trust doctors as well as myself when making medical decisions. :/
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: Upcoming Colonoscopy

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:34 pm

Elvish , I am sorry to hear you are still having issues. I had 3 colonoscopies in the last 15 years. Colonoscopy is really not difficult at all, the prep is a little unpleasant but that is all.

I had some type of UTI that the dr couldn't diagnose in 2014 which caused reactive arthritis so I started having so many other issues, such as joint issues, eyes issue, and skin issues etc. I developed anxiety and I was having panic attacks. I went on Alprazolam 0.5 mg (Xanax) for two weeks. The Xanax worked very well but I developed a dependency on it after two weeks, so I had to taper it off. The withdrawal was unpleasant
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Elvish2
Contributor

Re: Upcoming Colonoscopy

Postby Elvish2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:28 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, Ali-Mar. I think I got myself in to a bad headspace when I started to read online what people were saying about colonoscopy prep (lots of 'horror stories'!). I've survived two bouts of c-diff, surely I can get through this! The Xanax would definitely be a short-term thing (I've used it before for dental visits).
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”