Whey protein isolate?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Rev1119
Contributor

Whey protein isolate?

Postby Rev1119 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:01 pm

Hope that everyone is well and staying safe! I am approaching 10 months post-vanco, and my pre-existing IBS-D seems to have worsened a bit since. Due to IBS flares, I often struggle to get a decent amount of protein in me. A former dietician had recommended whey protein isolate as another protein source to consider. Has anyone tried it? (unlike concentrated whey protein, it has been heavily filtered and contains little or no lactose). I just ordered Beneprotein by Nestle as it offers a smaller serving size and has nothing else in it other than the whey protein isolate, but wondering if anyone else has tried other options successfully. Thanks!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Whey protein isolate?

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:53 am

When I had lost a lot of weight at the beginning of my c diff journey, my GI recommended it, but I did not try it. I would try a small amount and see how you do with it. Hopefully, it helps you.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:22 pm

Thank you beth22! I have the whey protein isolate but haven't taken it just yet - had a GI doctor appt today where I was told that I'm likely not digesting meat/I may have some (animal) fat malabsorption post-C. Diff, which is definitely contributing to me not getting enough protein. They are ordering some tests (pancreatic elastase test and maybe a lipase test?) to look into this. Will likely address the issue further with my GI doc once tests come back and then supplement accordingly based on the findings. Thanks again!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:45 pm

There are lots of bars, shakes and drinks high in protein but make sure they are not also high in fiber as the fiber tends to irritate IBS.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”