PPI Dexilent

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Fish1
Regular User

PPI Dexilent

Postby Fish1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:14 pm

I was treated twice for the same c-diff infection. I finished my last vancomycin treatment in July 2019. I’ve done very well since then except my acid reflux is horrible. Recently I was prescribed Pepcid for about two months; my acid reflux wasn't responding to Pepcid, last week I was prescribed Dexilent. I’ve only been on Dexilent for about six days and woke up this morning and went to bathroom six times, ending with watery diarrhea. I feel nauseated and haven’t got an appetite. Should I be worried about c-diff returning after a year? My Gastro did not think it would cause me to have a reoccurrence. So confused at this point.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: PPI Dexilent

Postby NanciT » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Talk with your GI again. Dexilent IS a PPI which can be a risk for CDIFF but if you look up the drug, it can cause diarrhea. See if they want you to continue on it? Let them know about the D and your concerns.

I also ended up with terrible GERD and have been taking Pepcid....it does not work great but helps and I really watch my diet very carefully. I also take Mylanta at night.

There are options so having another chat with the GI would be worth it

Hope things improve

NanciT

Fish1
Regular User

Re: PPI Dexilent

Postby Fish1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:34 pm

Yes she just texted me and said stop the Dexilent. It totally stopped my acid reflux but the diarrhea is horrible and everything just goes right through me. She said she didn’t think it was c-diff unless I had been exposed to it and I’m sure I haven’t been. We don’t go anywhere because of Covid-19, so it’d be a stretch to have been exposed. Thanks for the response

Return to “Free Form Discussion”