Hair loss from vanco?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
hledgess
Regular Contributor

Hair loss from vanco?

Postby hledgess » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:50 pm

Hi guys.. I’ve noticed a lot of hair loss lately .. was curious if anyone on long vanco taper had this occur or if it was due to eight loss or a deficiency in another area .. thanks

Spike
Contributor

Re: Hair loss from vanco?

Postby Spike » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:05 pm

I have had terrible hair loss. Still do but is slowing 6 week out of medicine. I feel it is due to me being so sick prior to getting treatment (2 month no treatment) and mal absorption with c diff. My diet has been very carb heavy but working my way to a healthier diet as my stomach tolerates. I also can now stomach a vitamins so it should slow down as I get healthier and stronger.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:05 am

Posters have reported hair loss after c difficile, but I can tell you from my own experience that way before I ever heard of c diff, I had hair loss after having a severe illness. Stress can do it too and so can vitamin and mineral deficiencies. With c diff, we have all 3 - an infection that the body has to try and fight, usually some sort of vitamin or mineral deficiency and of course stress. You can ask your doctor about testing you for vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:56 am

I too had lost lots of hair after Cdiff , but not because of it or the treatment , it was because i was deficient in Vit D. After i started a Vit D supplement it stopped.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:09 pm

I take a lot of vitamin D so I’m not sure that would be the issue for me .. but my life has been very very stressful and lost a lot of weight

sammi79
Contributor

Postby sammi79 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:18 am

I know this is an older thread, but I have experienced significant hair loss each time I’ve had C Diff. It has always grown back and thickened but eight now, even on my best day, my hair resembles limp noodles.

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Postby poppy86 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:24 pm

My hair is also very limp and dull right now. I noticed in the past couple months it has thinned out a lot.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:32 pm

My hair has gotten very thin as well, not sure if it is the C Diff or side effects of Vanco, Flagyl or Dificid .. , I hope it will grow back?
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:21 am

I used to have coarse hair. I too have lost handfuls of hair, and the texture has changed dramatically. I've been taking vitamin D and fish oil. It stopped the loss in the most part, but my hair is thin, dull and frizzy. i have a couple of spots where I'm almost bald.

Does anyone know if this is permanent?

Return to “Free Form Discussion”