How Y'all Feeling About The Coronavirus

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
D1dad
Regular Contributor

Re: How Y'all Feeling About The Coronavirus

Postby D1dad » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:21 pm

I’m in ohio. Last week our governor and his medical director said that predictions showed the state would have 100k cases in a week. We immediately shut down schools and instituted several other policies that may have helped this. My daughter works in Toledo’s largest hospital (ER nurse) and they’ve seen nothing but flu. Yesterday salons, tattoo parlors and nail salons and the BMV were issued to close. I was supposed to have flown from Detroit to JFK for 2 weeks and the anger of work being cancelled is fading. I’m a contract employee with a savings but am extremely concerned about the future.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:40 pm

I'm in southern CA and L.A. county has more and more cases each day, way more than most states. Everything is closed here - schools, restaurants, gyms, stores - all of Beverly Hills shut down, including my cardiologist's office. Had to drop the heart monitor off there and call so the one person tending the phones would open the door. The city looks like a ghost town. Problem is that there are not enough supplies and test kits, so that is why the numbers are still lower. If they tested more of the population, we would probably see the 100K. Maybe smaller towns are better, but all the big cities are not doing well at all. People are still panic buying and lines form before a store even opens at places like Target and Costco and that does not help to prevent spread of virus. We have tried to go out as little as possible, as both my husband and I are seniors.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Ohio has limited test kits and are only using them for the critically ill, which I agree with. There’s lots of hypochondriacs out there that would abuse the system for an attention post on Facebook if they thought they could. My daughter is seeing a normal Ohio winter/spring run of the flu and allergy season is kicking up which won’t help either. My factory sized case of Costco TP is half gone and I may have to venture out at some point. Till then the family and I are waiting it out. I got a half a steer, one hog and 2 deer in the freezers so food isn’t gonna be an issue but TP may be eventually lol. Either that or we start scooting across the rug like the dog does.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:25 pm

London's been hit hard and figures are being " massaged"
When my Mom died in 2007 the group I belonged to uncovered the fact that hospitals were not testing c.diff patients.
They only had to report positive tests so treating just on symptoms made the figures look good.
I suspect the same is happening now with covid 19.
Got to stay positive though.

This is my house

https://m.facebook.com/groups/120989741 ... ef=m_notif

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:34 pm

When I tested positive for cdiff in my small town/county. They never reported it nor did anyone wear PPE when I was there.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:58 pm

In UK law it's a notifiable disease.
It's not in US.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:34 pm

Can't open your link, Roy.

C diff is not reported here, but whooping cough is. When I got it in 2014 from a student, the health department called me and asked detailed questions.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:41 pm

Not even a blip on the radar. Get hand foot and mouth disease and the schools send home letters.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:38 pm

Well, we are officially on lockdown now. I think we can still go to buy food.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:01 am

I can not understand what's going on here.
Public transport is still open and people are crammed in literally inches from each other.
Bars are still open and younger people going to them are acting as if nothings wrong.
Shits going to hit the fan.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:21 am

National guards being brought in so we’re next.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:00 am

Roy, I saw the same thing myself. Went to the store to load up on some essentials just in case. Lots of older folks standing in the aisles shooting the breeze, stores, Walmart etc had full parking lots and liquor stores were packed.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:30 pm

Not here. It's like a ghost town. We are allowed to go to markets, pharmacy, medical appointments, although most doctors have closed offices. We are also allowed to go outside for exercise as long as we keep 6 feet from anyone we pass. My husband and I went for a walk around the park. Very few people. I'm really surprised at London not taking precautions. One of my former students has the coronavirus there. He is a journalist. Apparently testing is hard to come by there too. I hope these measures help. Most markets now have a time early in the morning for seniors, so that helps us out. Husband went this morning and ran into some very grumpy ones he said:).

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:48 pm

I am a Community Bank VP. Banking services are considered essential, so we are working hard to ensure we are able to meet customer needs, and will remain open during the crisis. I will still be working even if there is a "shelter in" order.

I am fortunate in that I will have a steady paycheck throughout this crisis, but that is not the case for many. The economic impact will be huge. I plan on supporting many of the charities that are helping.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:06 pm

My small town just had a positive test although they just said it was the county I live in. I live in the biggest town in the county which has a population of around 18k. This is the first case in a very rural area in Ohio. 1 Kroger, 1 Walmart and 1 aldi.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”