Been awhile:Woke up sick

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Been awhile:Woke up sick

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:04 am

Hey everyone. I haven’t been on the boards in a long time because I had been doing really well and just haven’t thought about C Diff much. However, last night I had a stomachache/burning feeling below the ribcage in the middle so I took a Zantac. I got up at 12:30 and vomited quiet a bit. I couldn’t get comfortable after that and it happened again around 6:00. It wasn’t as much and had some dry heaves. Then I had diarrhea around 6:30. I still don’t feel well but have been sipping water. Sorry for all that info, but my worry is if this is a stomach virus or even something I ate that it will disrupt my gut and I’ll get C Diff again. Anyone else have tummy issues post C Diff that were just the normal run of the mill bugs that didn’t turn into anything sinister? I’m always nervous around this time of year because it was when I was diagnosed with breast cancer 7 years ago so my mind tends to go to worst case scenario, since that’s also when C Diff happened for the first time. My husband and I ate the same thing last night and he’s not sick so I don’t think it’s food poisoning. I haven’t actually vomited in so long so I’m a bit paranoid. Anyway I know most can relate to the PTSD that C Diff leaves you with so hopefully you all will understand. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Been awhile:Woke up sick

Postby Ril » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:57 pm

Happy New Year Dobies. Sorry you are feeling ill.
And yes, I have been ill a couple of times since having c diff, the second time as recently as this past fall when I had a miserable intestinal virus that lingered for several weeks. Both times my GI had me tested for c diff, mostly as a precaution. Even after many years the fear stays there so you are not alone, but try to stay positive. ‘‘Tis the season for all kinds of bugs and once you have had c diff it seems that we are the first victims to be targeted for any GI illness that may strike.

Chances are you will be just fine. There is no reason to think that a GI virus will lead to c diff. The virus does not eat up gut flora.
Make sure you stay hydrated, get enough electrolytes and eat bland until it passes.

Rita

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi, Dobies,

Agree with Rita. It is pobably a stomach "bug." Eat lite, stay hydrated, and wait it out.

Almost everyone's mind turns to the dark side after a bout of c diff. You had a double whammy with it and cancer.

Hang inI there. Are u still in the same house?

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:37 pm

Thanks so much ladies! I just hate having any kind of tummy issue because it’s so uncomfortable. I’ve been drinking stuff and ate some toast, crackers and apple sauce. Still don’t feel good but trying not to panic!
Yes Bobbie we are still in the same house. Good to hear from y’all. Happy New Year!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:58 pm

Hi there! Good to hear from you but sorry you are ill!

Just like Rita I also came down with something in August, my husband was sick for a week and I was sick for a MONTH!! I am not kidding, went through all the testing and everything was negative. What ever we got affected me so much worse, my gut is sensitive unlike the past prior to CDIFF.

Hope you feel better soon!

NanciT

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:48 am

Not sure where your at but in ohio there’s a stomach bug going around with diarrhea. I dodged it but almost everyone at our family Xmas got it. It did t last long though.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:29 am

Thanks again everyone. The worst of it was over by Saturday night. But I got a bit more adventurous with my diet yesterday (Tuesday), and woke up with diarrhea this morning and it feels like it may not be over. I don’t feel “bad”, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous. The anxiety is a bit ramped up since I had to hurry to the toilet when I got up. I keep telling myself that I’m ok since I felt like eating and haven’t had any fever. Gonna go back to more bland foods for awhile and see if that helps. Hope you all have a good day!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:15 pm

Dobies,
Glad you are better. Pls post now and then to support others. Pay forward.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:44 pm

I know I need to support other’s Bobbie and I will once I’m in a better headspace. Anyway, I was doing better, having only one episode of diarrhea per day, didn’t have any on Thursday, then one on Friday, but had about 5 trips to the bathroom on Saturday. Only had to go once again on Sunday, and yesterday and Tuesday were great! Only had normal BM’s those two days and had a great appetite. Then this morning I had a regular one and a few hours later I thought I just had to poop again but it was diarrhea. Is this normal after a stomach bug? I don’t want to run to the doctor if I don’t have to. I have to say my anxiety is heightened after that one today, because seven years ago today I was diagnosed with breast cancer. They told me the type I had had the highest chance to recur in the first 3-5 years and after that the chances dropped which should encourage me. For some reason I worry this could be possible liver metastasis or some type of colitis. I haven’t had fever, blood or anything (knock on wood), but I’m a bit nervous to say the least! Anyway just venting. I hope to be back soon with a clearer head. I do support everyone in here because I know how bad this dreadful illness is! Wish they’d find an easy cure for it! Thanks for listening!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:41 am

Don’t worry about posting. It’s not for everyone and certainly should not cause you more stress.
Get yourself well.
After 7 years you should be fine but of course you will worry...but this is not a sign of anything ominous. Your anxiety will make it worse.
Give it a bit more time. You already have had a vast improvement.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”