Please Help me- Pregnant with C Diff

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Jhansen
Brand New Poster

Please Help me- Pregnant with C Diff

Postby Jhansen » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:33 pm

Hello, last year I got C Diff after being in the hospital for 10 days. It kept coming back since I needed antibiotics for mastitis. I ended up doing a fecal transplant and was completely fine from last November until now.

I got pregnant and the C Diff came back when I was 6 weeks- I have no idea why. I took 10 days of Vanco and have been on Florastor since the C Diff came back. I ended up with a horrible case of BV and yeast infection from the Vanco. Now 5 days after I stopped the Vanco I think the C Diff came back AGAIN :( currently 8 weeks pregnant.

Am I doomed to have to take Vanco through my entire pregnancy- I assume you can’t get a FMT done when you are pregnant. The only true issue I have with long term Vanco is the horrible BV and yeast infections. I am waiting to get into a GI but please somebody help me I was so healthy before the hospitalization last year.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Please Help me- Pregnant with C Diff

Postby Bobbie » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:13 pm

Welcome to the site. Pls read the first forum for info about c diff and posting.

A doc should answer your questions as they need a medical "eye." I would bring your OB into the discussion.

I will forward your post to the moderators who know more about pregnancy and c diff.

Best of luck and keep posting. I had several difficult pregnancies, Not fun, Thinking of u.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:49 pm

I am pretty sure that Dificid is used in pregnancy; I know it is safe for breastfeeding. Dificid could be a good option for you... I also know that you can't get FMT while pregnant :-/

habeela
New User

Postby habeela » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:00 pm

I am so sorry you are going through this! I ended up having to stay on meds through my entire pregnancy because every time I finished a round, I would relapse. I highly recommend NOT having a taper end close to your birth window. If you relapse around the time you give birth you'll have to be in isolation for the birth and that can put a serious cramp on walking halls and using some of the more creative and helpful birthing tools. Also, if there are any complications with the baby, the isolation can complicate that as well.

Having said all of that, you will be fine, the baby will be fine and you might just have to wait until you've healed from the birth to deal with the CDiff. I'm happy to hear from people here that Dificid is an option - it wasn't a possibility when I was going through my scenario and I suspect it could have led to a very different outcome for me.

Hang in there, this is frustrating but you are going to be ok.

Jhansen
Brand New Poster

Postby Jhansen » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:51 am

Thank you all so much! I am on Dificid now but none of the doctors really know what to do with me. Did any of you go to another city for medical care? There is a Mayo Health System a few hours away

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Jhansen,

Thx to those who answered as we are limited in resources right now.

Good advice. The baby is your priority now.

Be sure and ask all docs to correspond with each other and especially your OB.

I went to Mayo without luck but others have been more fortunate. Call Mayo for info.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”