Adult Diapers

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
lunasdad
Regular User

Adult Diapers

Postby lunasdad » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:32 pm

I am not a newbie to the site but wanted to ask if anyone has had experience with adult diapers? I never thought I would be broaching this subject at 39 years of age, but it is something I am considering as I am sick of sitting on the couch watching the world pass me by. I am currently dealing with my 2nd bout of cdiff and have some events coming up I do not want to miss. Wanted to know if any one has had any experience with them and what brands are the best. I know it can be a tough subject but I need to get my life back and will do anything at this point.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Adult Diapers

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:44 am

Lunasdad,

Give them a try, beats sitting home. The only one I am familiar with is Depends.

You have a lot of support. Enjoy. Know U have family vacations planned. I went to the UK 10 times when I had inactive c diff. Check with your docs re traveling. You are young and otherwise healthy. Eventually, u will recover.

U mentioned partnership in an earlier post, are u an attorney?

Hang in there.

lunasdad
Regular User

Postby lunasdad » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:46 am

Bobbie-

I am actually a Partner at an accounting firm. I travel a lot and obviously it is a very stressful career, but I have been able to make it thru, until now.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 am

I just used paper towels. Stuck them in my undies. Tended to move around and not stay in play real great, but it did the job for me. Adult diapers would do a better job, but paper towels could do if nothing else was available at the time.

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Your situation/job/family is very similar to mine although I’m a few years older. You will recover and it should be relatively quick when you kick it. My doc said and I quote...”you’ll get better fast when you can start eating again”. He was right. Hopefully since you posted you’ve made improvements and thing are looking up? Let’s not go putting on the Huggies just yet.

lunasdad
Regular User

Postby lunasdad » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:19 am

Thanks for the replies. My doctor returned with my test last night that I am positive, as we expected. for CDIFF again. I was pretty sure it was a relapse because of how sick I felt and the amount of times I was running to bathroom so I had already restarted the Vanco. The Vanco which I have been taking for 6 days at this point seems to have calmed most of the symptoms down except for feeling out of energy and tired. My appetite is not good so its tough to eat. I am basically eating toast and jelly with a banana for breakfast, grilled chicken with lettuce and tomato for lunch and grilled chicken with potatoes and rice for dinner every day. I am so anxious about my 2 children who are 9-5 catching this from me and the thought that I can relapse again and have to be on meds for months is a bit overwhelming, especially considering my job situation and its requirements.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:47 pm

I wouldn’t worry about the kids as long as you cleanse the bathroom and practice good hand hygiene.
I also would forget the lettuce and any other raw veggies. Most of us could not tolerate them. Try adding some grilled fish or turkey for variety, eggs and maybe pasta. That was pretty much my diet too.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:21 pm

lunasdad,
I second Ril's suggestion. A microbiologist warned me against eating lettuce "out" as it is difficult to clean. I love salads but avoided them for a long time until I was better. Same with fresh veggies. Lose the tomato and lettuce on your sandwich.

Stick with the hand washing and your kids should be OK.

I traveled to the U.K. 10' times (older son and family live there), MT numerous times, and NYC once and worked with c diff as Vanco keep the c diff in check. It was difficult and some of these times my c dif was inactive - but not all. I can travel with c diff but take precautions to protect yourself and others.

Eventually, u will be OK.Honest.

lunasdad
Regular User

Postby lunasdad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will cut out the veggies. The Vanco does make it easier to work, haven't missed much time. MY Vanco dosage ends next week and I fly cross country later that week. What do you folks think about flying across country while recovering? I do not fear the WBM, more so I do not want to catch anything else sitting on a flight for 6 hours.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:47 am

I traveled to Mexico when I had active c diff and was taking vanco. Thereafter, I asked the doctor to give me a prescription for vanco that I filled and took with me when I traveled. I never had to use it, but took it along just in case. In 2016 I was in the hospital and was given antibiotics and did test positive. I did not have an active infection though, so I did not treat. My family was going to Europe and my doctor gave me a prescription for Dificid to take along. Again, I did not need it, but it was reassuring to have it. For IBS type symptoms I took Pepto Bismol. Usually when I travel, I don't do well the last couple of days, probably from eating out all the time. I wind up taking a day or two or Pepto.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 am

The kind of illness that one is most likely to pick up after air travel is the common cold, due to the drying of the nasal passages that occurs under cabin conditions and to close proximity to so many people. Try to keep hydrated during the flight and use hand sanitizer prior to eating anything. There's nothing about air travel that would especially predispose to picking up a GI illness.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Adult Diap

Postby Bobbie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:56 am

The best protection is hand washing. I usually try to sit as close to the restrooms as possible. I also wash off the tray attached to my seat. I don't have a drink with ice in it - sometimes they store ice for a long time and it can attract bacteria. Same goes for coffee. The biggest risks, however is other people. If someone obviously has a resp infection, MOVE if you can.

You will be fine. "Business as usual." Search Travel Tips - I posted them several times,

Have a good trip,

Return to “Free Form Discussion”