Question about Cleaning

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
lex20
New User

Question about Cleaning

Postby lex20 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:21 pm

I have a question about cleaning after CDiff. Obviously bleach is used in the bathroom and any hard surfaces but as far as clothing, is just washing them in the washer enough? I read somewhere to wash them in hot water to kill the spores but I feel like that wouldn't do it. I don't want to bleach my clothing either if its not white. I have never not made it to the toilet or had an accident but I am worried about spores being on my underwear and pants or shorts.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Re: Question about Cleaning

Postby Machaon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi lex20!

My C-diff lasted five months from around April 18,1917 until September 12, 2017. During that time we did not ever use bleach because I am chemically sensitive. Because of my problems with chemicals, we "boiled" my soiled undies with dish detergent. We washed our hands with water frequently, especially prior to eating. In fact, we always frequently wash our hands with water, especially after going shopping. We used separate bathrooms. I did clean my bathroom's toilet seat and toilet using dish detergent. We didn't take any other c-diff cleaning actions.

My wife did not get my C-diff and I am still C-diff free. Perhaps we are just lucky to see the dark days of C-diff behind us, despite not using bleach. In our case, we were able to survive C-diff without the use of bleach. Were we just extremely lucky? Don't know?

I am not suggesting this approach to anyone else, just posting what happened in our case.

Regards, take care... Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Question about Cleaning

Postby AllisS » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Since no clothing was subject to any "accidents" there's no need to bleach or boil it. Perhaps do your load of laundry separately from loads of others in the household as a precaution, using the hot setting. Spores are all around us in the environment; it's not necessary (or possible) to kill them off.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Free Form Discussion”