Zantac and c diff link?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
hledgess
Regular Contributor

Zantac and c diff link?

Postby hledgess » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:29 pm

Hi, I tried searching the topic, but every time I would click on a link it said it was forbidden. I tried a few times and closed my browser and several things but anyway.. does anyone post c diff take Zantac? I have severe GERD symptoms, but I have read online a lot that there is a link between the drug and c diff. Drs blow me off and still try to give me antibiotics so they’ll definitely not see a problem with an antacid. So I was just curious what you all have heard or experienced for yourselves.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Zantac and c diff link?

Postby AllisS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:09 am

Zantac (generic name, ranitidine) isn't an antacid. It belongs to a group of drugs known as H2 blockers. I found a comprehensive study that cites an association between Zantac use in hospitalized patients and C. diff. However, that study didn't find a strong link with over-the-counter use. I take it myself, but I now limit my use of it to as-needed only, whereas in the past I'd taken it preventively before bedtime. A link isn't the same as cause and effect; there may be other, as yet undetermined factors that account for the link. Chewing gum is something that's helped me and others with GERD symptoms; apparently the act of chewing and its release of saliva have an acid-reducing effect.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:25 pm

Thank you for responding since no one else did lol.. I have tried looking and asking everywhere bc I don’t ever want that beast again! I just took my first one since I got worse.. heartburn so bad I couldn’t sleep and couldn’t eat much bc it made it and my stomach hurt.. I also have mucus when I wake up and just now when I woke up from my nap it seemed like bits of food was in it which I’ve never noticed before .. and I ateast at 9:30.. so I thought I’d give it a shot since I can’t seem to have a normal life without it.. pray I’m ok! And thanks again so much!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:31 pm

If your reflux continues to be very severe it is more than mere heartburn and should be evaluated by a dr. If it is easily controlled by occasional use of over the counter medication and antacid that is fine, but if it is frequent and severe you should be seen.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 pm

I just saw this .. I have been seen and have to get a swallow study done... sometimes Zantac helps but it scares me to even take it once in awhile so I try to eat low acid but it’s almost impossible with a busy life.. but the coughing and limp in my throat really messes with my life

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:09 am

It's next to impossible to maintain a low-acid diet, and unless you notice a specific link between eating specific acidic food it's probably not warranted. Ruling out serious causes with medical tests makes sense. You may be told, in the end, that you have a type of reflux known as "silent GERD," for which a PPI may be recommended. There are some indications that PPIs predispose (though this isn't the same as causation) to C. diff if taken long-term; short-term use is unlikely to cause a problem and may be helpful if taken until severe symptoms subside. However, I'd not be concerned about taking Zantac if I were you -- I do, in fact, take it as needed, as I wrote earlier. Another possibility is to find a nutritionist whose expertise includes GERD -- there are many who address GI issues these days -- who could make some suggestions about diet. Some people get relief by elevating the head of their bed several inches -- there are special blocks for bed legs made for this purpose. I tried this and it didn't help me -- I get more relief from the gum-chewing that I mentioned earlier.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:49 am

The acid produced in the human stomach is many times more potent than any acid in food.
Its strong enough to dissolve food, bones and even metal!
Eating low acid foods does not reduce stomach acid

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:25 am

Yea I honestly don’t see a big difference between foods.. just depends on the day .. I did receive my block pillow yesterday .. thank you so much for the insight!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:29 pm

I have taken generic Zantac for years without a problem, and so far, so good. Studies implicate the PPIs more. Acid reducers , not so much but always a risk.

I am almost 79 and want quality in what is left of my life, but that is an individual choice.

Best to u. Keep posting.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”