Vanco Taper

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Fish1
Regular User

Vanco Taper

Postby Fish1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:17 pm

I will start the pulse dose of my vancomycin taper/ pulse tomorrow. The last couple of days my BMs have become softer and more frequent. No WD or mucus but not as firm as they were when I was taking vancomycin 4Xs a day and then 2Xs a day and then half way into the 1X a day I started to notice the change. Does this mean I could be heading toward a relapse Again? The first time I was good for about three weeks so just wondering why the change. Could it be the food I’m eating? I haven’t really added back anything different except some grilled fish. I’m not having any pain just the slight change in BMs. I’m heading out of town in a couple days and wondered if I should contact my GI before I leave or just wait it out and see if WD starts.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco Taper

Postby NanciT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:48 pm

We watch for WD and all other symptoms returning. On tapers things can be all over. Follow through with your taper and see how it goes, it takes time.
When I did relapse, it was right back to my symptoms and WD...at least that was my experience. I was on Vanco for 3 months, things were OK but not consistent. If you think you are relapsing, call your GI.

Hopefully the taper works and things will slowly improve, the gut takes time to heal

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:07 am

When you drop down a dose of Vanco usually mild symptoms are expected ,until your system start to accommodate with the dosage . There is of course a small category of people that relapsed when they were on the lowest dosage and had to up the dosage all over again , hopefully not your case. I would wait it out to see if the symptoms subside.You could also add a good probiotic to your regime , like Florastor , might help bulk up your stool.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:16 am

I take Florastor twice a day, drink keifer three times a day, and yogurt twice a day. I’m just gonna wait it out like you suggest. Yesterday I only went twice and it was a little firmer again. Today is a skip day for the vanco so I’m curious to see if there are changes this week. I’m trying not to overthink all
Of this. I’m sure some of it is anxiety from tapering down my dose and knowing I will be off of it soon. That’s when I relapsed last time. My doctor said if I relapse again we will try diffcid.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:27 am

It may be the kiefer or the yogurt giving you symptoms. It's been four years for me since i cannot touch those without getting more frequency , bloating , gurgling , excess gas. Try to cut back on those for a day or two and see if your symptoms subside.

Fish1
Regular User

Postby Fish1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:24 am

Okay thank you I’ll do that.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”