diarrhea

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
bubbe1
New User

diarrhea

Postby bubbe1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:06 am

Hi,
I have a short question.

Can a person have active c.diff in the absence of three or more watery stools a day?

I had an infection about a month ago and was treated with 14 days of Vanco.

I was retested last week because I had several loose stools. The test was positive but the diarrhea has subsided somewhat. I continue to have nausea and fatigue and cramps as well as some loose stools.

I was told that tests can come back positive for a long while after initial infection and if I wasn't having three or more watery stools a day, I should not be retreated.

As well, my husband has developed fairly severe nausea, but he has not had watery stools so again, the doctor said he can't have C.Diff.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Laurie

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: diarrhea

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:47 am

Yes , you can test positive but not have the active infection. Tests are usually indicated only in the presence of symptoms , it is pointless to test to prove that you are cured. As your doctor said , some people can test positive for a long time after they had Cdiff , some people don't even have symptoms as they are asymptomatic carriers and would test positive. Treating asymptomatic carriers is not advised.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”