Metronidazole

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Bwise
New User

Metronidazole

Postby Bwise » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:15 am

Today Rhe she wrote me a script for Metronidzole 500 mags . I previously had Vancomycin for 10 days but a week later tbt cdiff returned , I hope this works . Having this cdiff has reduced me to a small child . I feel week and tired . Any suggestions. I am so distraught over this. I’ve read that this may cure diarrhea this confused me since I want it to stop it’s worn me out .

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Metronidazole

Postby beth22 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:19 am

Metronidazole is not usually prescribed after vanco for c difficile. Was your D caused by a different pathogen?

Bwise
New User

Postby Bwise » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:32 am

Not sure what you mean , I just know that my MD perscribkwd this to me after I was on Vancomycin that the Er doc gave me , I was on Vancomycin from Oct 8th till Oct 20th , then the cdiff retuned , My doc called this In for me I see him this Thursday I took new blood work and stool sample again.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:48 am

If you relapse after vanco metronidazol should NOT be prescribed.
No, not ever, no way!
Another round of Vanco, possibly a higher dose possibly a long tapering dose, or Dificid but NEVER metro!

Only reason metro is used is because it's cheap.
It is not, and never has been approved for treating c.diff.
Drs are now instructed not to use it if other meds are available.

It will (99% certain) resolve your current symptoms but a relapse is VERY likely once its finished.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:18 am

Look under "Media Reports" New Guidelines, print out and take it in with you. Flagyl is not even considered a first line of treatment, Vanco and Dificid are. If your CDIFF has returned, PUSH for Dificid.

Make sure to bring the information in with you, I would consider another doctor. If you are not seeing a GI, get one and ask for a referral

I would be concerned with a physician who would prescribe Flagyl AFTER Vanco

Sorry you are going through this, feel better soon

NanciT

Return to “Free Form Discussion”