17 years

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Bobbie
Administrator

17 years

Postby Bobbie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:52 pm

It has been 17 years!

REMEMBERING 9/11

It's been 17 years since 9/11. Our older son narrowly missed being a victim. He and a friend rode bikes every morning. One day they used the bike path by the WTC and another path the next day. On 9/ll, they took the 2nd path, and our son had just returned to his apartment in Manhattan, looked out the window, and watched both planes hit the towers. My niece also lived in NYC.

The September 11 attacks were a series of four coordinated terrorist attacks launched by the Islamic terrorist group al-Qaeda upon the United States in the NYC and the DC metropolitan area.

Four passenger airliners were hijacked by 19 al-Qaeda terrorists so they could be flown into buildings in suicide attacks. Two of those planes, American Airlines Flight 11 and United Airlines Flight 175, were crashed into the North and South towers, respectively, of the World Trade Center complex in New York City. Within two hours, both towers collapsed with debris and the resulting fires causing partial or complete collapse of all other buildings in the WTC complex, as well as major damage to ten other large surrounding structures. A third plane, American Airlines Flight 77, was crashed into the Pentagon (the headquarters of the United States Department of Defense) causing major damage. The fourth plane, United Airlines Flight 93, was targeted at Washington, DC but crashed into a field near Shanksville, PA, after its passengers tried to overcome the hijackers. In total, almost 3,000 people died in the attacks, including the 227 civilians and 19 hijackers aboard the four planes. It also was the deadliest incident for firefighters in the history of the United States.

Weeks after the attack, the death toll was estimated to be over 6,000, more than twice the number of deaths eventually confirmed. The city was only able to identify remains for about 1,600 of the World Trade Center victims. Some survivors are still suffering from smoke inhalation and injuries sustained in the attack and are without adequate health insurance.

It was one of those days when you remember just where you were when you heard the news. "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

Continuing prayers for the victims, their families, and all the first responders (police officers, fire fighters, and others) who helped people evacuate the buildings and later cleared the debris.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Re: 17 years

Postby Ajs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Thanks for sharing that Bobbie. A day we should never forget.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: 17 years

Postby NanciT » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:23 pm

Thanks for sharing Bobbie. We need to remember each year, I discussed with my class yesterday how the world changed that day. The lives lost were unbelievable. One of the men on the United flight that helped overcome the terrorist...was my neighbor. They named an overpass after him and yesterday on my way to work it was covered in flags.....very profound

NanciT

Return to “Free Form Discussion”