Camping with the family!

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Ajs
Regular Contributor

Camping with the family!

Postby Ajs » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:28 pm

So, I’m one week and two days past my FMT. I never expected to be able to make this camping trip. My poor family has had to put their life on hold along with me. Not just from cdiff, but I’ve been really sick since February! I’m very thankful to report that I’ve made big improvements in the last few days! “Going” once a day (which wasn’t like me even before cdiff). Fatigue and brain fog has tremendously improved since FMT! I’m still very nervous about a relapse, but I’m feeling very hopeful. With every good trip to the restroom my anxiety decreases. Also, another strange symptom that has improved, I’ve basically been deflated for months now. Rarely ever passing gas (no complaints from the family ha!). When I do there has been absolutely zero smell. I can say that my digestive system seems to be back in more of a working order. Never have I been so happy to smell a fart! Ha! Thank you all for the support and information! This weekend has been so perfect! I don’t want it to end.

So, I’ve read on here that 8 weeks after FMT a person can consider themselves “cured”. Does this seem to be the consensus view? I already have my calendar marked!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Camping with the family!

Postby beth22 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:04 am

It sounds as if you are doing very well. I also had zero odor after starting vanco and normal smell returned after FMT. I think the vanco wiped out a lot of my good flora. 8 weeks is just a number. Some heal quickly and others take longer. I don't think there is a typical time.

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:39 pm

Thanks Beth22! So far I am doing really good. I sure hope and pray it continues. I was able to eat a venison burger without any negative reactions. I process the meat myself, so I know it’s clean. I’m still trying to stick with a low, low sugar diet, as well as gluten free. I’m trying to figure out which high fiber foods I can tolerate. I hear the fiber helps to feed the good bacteria. Regarding the “8 weeks” thing. I had heard that the likelihood of a relapse was way less after 8 weeks. I guess a relapse could happen anytime, but I’m just wondering if there’s a certain point that I can breathe a sigh of relief. My last relapse was 4 weeks after Dificid...

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:35 pm

Most of my relapses were within a month too, but once it was after 4 months. I think it is unusual after about 90 days, but it can happen.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:24 am

Sounds like the FMT was successful , you seem to be doing really well in recovery with minimal IBS issues . If you stick to the clean diet , rest and control anxiety is most likely that you will get trough the recovery phase faster then most of us. Sending positive vibes your way , may you continue to improve.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”