Any C Diff risk with Xifaxan for IBS-D

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
MKW
Regular Contributor

Any C Diff risk with Xifaxan for IBS-D

Postby MKW » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:49 am

I was a recurrent c Diff sufferer, finally cured with an FMT.
Over the last year I developed SIBO and have been working with an integrative doctor with herbal antimicrobials to avoid taking Xifaxan.
My mother who is 75 has had ibs-d symptoms for about six months. She has taken bentyl provided by one doctor that didn’t really help much. This week she saw a new PCP for her annual physical. He prescribed her Xifaxan and Vsl 3 to take following. I was kind of surprised this was just the immediate approach a pcp would take for ibs symptoms.
Is it common now for this to be prescribed for ibs without other several other treatments first?
I am worried my mom could have a c Diff risk from taking it unnecessarily. Is there any significant c Diff risk with xifaxin for someone with ibs but no c Diff history that any of you know of? Thanks, Melanie

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Any C Diff risk with Xifaxan for IBS-D

Postby beth22 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:34 am

Xifaxan has been used to treat c diff. It is not as effective as it doesn't cover all strains. I took it when I got a terrible case of SIBO after c difficile and it did not make me relapse and it did help the SIBO. I have also taken it as a chaser to vanco in my early days of dealing with c difficile. Any antibiotic can cause c difficile, but if your mother has not had it before, this is a lower offender for sure.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:44 am

I took several courses of Xifaxin and always felt better after them , never relapsed.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks for the responses! This is reassuring. I am hoping it helps her.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”