New Members

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Bobbie
Administrator

New Members

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 01, 2018 1:28 am

We had 75 to 80 new members in April.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: New Members

Postby AllisS » Tue May 01, 2018 8:54 am

That's 2 to 3 per day! Quite a staggering number. What's the usual average no. per month, if you know it?
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:32 am

Wow! That is a lot! Very sad so many are suffering with this illness.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue May 01, 2018 1:17 pm

91 new members in April, 30 posted 61 did not post.
That's a normal average for this time of the year.

When you realise that in the US alone there were on average 40,000 new c.diff cases and at least 1000 deaths attributed wholly to c.diff in April (using the latest accepted figures) it's not a lot.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue May 01, 2018 10:22 pm

I wonder why so many who joined did not post....
Is that unusual Roy?

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed May 02, 2018 6:09 pm

OMG!!! Is this disease spreading, or are more people just becoming aware of it and looking for help? Regardless of the reasons, they've come to the right place. I am so glad I found this site with the wonderful people who helped me through the nightmare of C. Diff. Aloha to all of you.
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Thx, Anne, for the thx. Hope you are feeling OK.

Thinking about you and everthing going on in Hawaii. Are you and yours OK?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 05, 2018 6:27 pm

Ril,
Many do not post. They are on the site to get info - and then go on some of the or there sites. Some will post after a year or so after a lengthy explanation. Many do not want to talk about shit - it is an embarrassing topic to many. I don't find it terrifically exciting myself.

The most "popular" months are the months with the largest number of resp. diseases - Oct through May.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sun May 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Bobbie: Thank you for your concern, but fortunately we live on Oahu and the volcano is on the Big Island of Hawaii. Many people are confused and worried about loved ones here in the islands because the news sources haven't done a good job explaining where the eruption is occurring. For anyone who has friends and loved ones here in Hawaii, let me explain what is happening. The only island which has an "active" volcano is the island of Hawaii. It is the newest and largest of the islands and there are two main volcanoes - Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea. Mauna Kea is the oldest and is where the observatory is. From the bottom on the ocean floor to the top, it is actually the highest mountain in the world (but they only measure from the ground up). Mauna Loa, on the other hand, is active! It has several openings (calderas) that occasionally erupt and the lava destroys everything in its path. Unfortunately, people continue to build housing developments on the sides of this active volcano and sometimes lose their homes. Why anyone would live near an active volcano astounds me, but I guess they think it won't happen to them and the homes are usually less expensive (for obvious reasons). My husband and I live on the island of Oahu which is next to the last island in the chain and is the home of Honolulu and Waikiki. We live inland and above (mauka) Pearl Harbor. The vast majority of our state's inhabitants live on Oahu. Every time I visit Hawaii (we all it the Big Island), and stand above the caldera (when it isn't erupting of course), it gives me chills - it is nature both growing and destroying at the same time.
Aloha,
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Glad u r OK. Thought you lived on Oahu. Have only been to Hawaii once on our honeymoon. We stayed on Oahu on Waikiki in the Hotel Ilikai k where they filmed the tv show "Hawaii 50." Came home in a wheelchair. (Husband dared me to come in pool with dangerous water sign and like a fool I did. Twisted my leg.Last time I "0beyed" him. (Used to be part of the wedding vows - no more.)

Glad you are OK. How are you? Still taking classes ?

No way would I live near an active volcano!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Footage of the erupting volcano on the news is astounding! No way would I ever live near an active volcano either. I've been to Maui and it was absolutely beautiful. We did the biking down Haleakala, which was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I would love to visit Oahu. I wish Hawaii was closer to NY! That plane ride is sooooo long! :-)

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Mon May 07, 2018 9:18 pm

Correction:
I made an error in my post about the volcanic eruption taking place in Hawaii. The Big Island of Hawaii actually has five volcanoes that make up the island. The one that is erupting is Kilauea. It is the second youngest of the volcanoes and the most active. The two I mentioned Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are the largest and probably the oldest (don't know for sure). Mauna Kea is where the observatories are located. I would recommend anyone planning a trip to Hawaii to include a visit to the Big Island of Hawaii and take a tour of the volcano (when it isn't erupting of course).
Aloha to all,
Anne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:09 am

I've been to Hawaii many times and am always impressed when I see the volcano. From the observatory we could see the lava when it got dark. My friends and daughter's godmother are from Hawaii. Coincidentally visiting relatives just now, but also on Oahu. They also have relatives on the Big Island, but in Kona. What I am wondering about is how the air quality is for you. I guess you are far enough away that it should not be too bad?

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Tue May 08, 2018 3:28 am

Hi Beth: As for the air quality from the volcano, it is a unpredictable. Sometimes it blows our way and for those of us who have allergies and other lung issues, it can be awful. One of my friends has a bad case of asthma and she gets really sick when the volcano erupts. I've gotten bronchitis when the air quality is full of ash, but luckily it isn't that often. I love the Big Island, but it isn't for me. Most of it, even Hilo, is pretty rural. Here, on Oahu, we have a lot more to offer - jobs, shopping, beautiful hotels, comfortable communities with lovely homes, etc. The Big Island is too rural for me. I like the conveniences. For anybody reading this that is thinking about vacationing in Hawaii, I would recommend taking the Inter-island cruise. It is a 10 day cruise, great food, and they have lots of different things to do on each island for the guests. I've taken it twice, once with my sister and a girlfriend of mine, and the second time with my husband.
Aloha, Anne

Indala
Brand New Poster

Postby Indala » Sun May 27, 2018 10:47 pm

Already goofed.
Indala
Sorry, I tried to post and I already messed up. I didn’t put my name at top. I asked a question, told about myself, used the word hell(not as a cuss word, but as a real place and also replied to a post ALL in one post. Now what do I do. ??

Return to “Free Form Discussion”